Cat Aggression, Is It Playful?

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I’ve posted about my foster cat who displays aggression towards me, but can’t find an answer/solution.

I rescued a young cat off the streets, he’s a little over one. He lived with other cats but while on the street but when I rescued him he had ringworm and I had to isolate him for over two months before he was cleared by fungal culture. He displayed aggression towards me although he’s super friendly, it comes in the form of stalking, wrapping around my legs and arms and biting. I’ve thought he’s alone and even though I play with him several times a day I thought he needed an outlet. He plays footsies Under the door with my cat and about a month ago I tried slow introductions to the door each time both cats would smack each other but there were no growls or hisses. Twice I’ve let them get closer and I’ve had to break up a fight separate and start all over.

My question is if he’s not growling or hissing and he’s interested in under the door play is there a way to tell whether he will get along with other cats. Am I being to scared of letting them meet because he always jumps and wants to bite and fight my cat. If they could all be together I thought perhaps the aggression he shows towards me would decrease. A lot of people have shown interest in him but they have other cats and I am afraid of saying yes he will get along and they don’t. He lived on the streets with other cats but my thought was he was not neutered until February and he may have been dumped for playing aggressively. I’m really at a loss with him.

kirothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
It sounds like he is just too rough when he plays, not aggressive, but if you want to have him meet your other cats you have to do it very slowly. I never had more than one cat in my house, but i noticed strays can get jealous when they meet new cats, which is a problem. He just sounds playful but you need to kind of work with him a little more :) Try seeing how the cats react to him with something keeping them further away from him, so you know if he would bite them, etc

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
It sounds like he is just too rough when he plays, not aggressive, but if you want to have him meet your other cats you have to do it very slowly. I never had more than one cat in my house, but i noticed strays can get jealous when they meet new cats, which is a problem. He just sounds playful but you need to kind of work with him a little more :) Try seeing how the cats react to him with something keeping them further away from him, so you know if he would bite them, etc
Thank you! I have tried with a gate which he slipped his head through, a harness which he broke out of and then a crate. He does play very rough and he bites rough too. I want to keep trying but hoping I’m not making everyone miserable in the process in case he really doesn’t like cats?

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Yes, I’ve looked at the Introduction threads. I feel like I’m doing all the steps but not seeing any of the progress that would allow me to keep moving forward. I keep worrying that the longer I’m isolating him the more it affects him negatively. He just took a hard bite on my ankle after playing for 15 minutes and then sitting next to me, seemingly relaxed.

kirothecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I have tried with a gate which he slipped his head through, a harness which he broke out of and then a crate. He does play very rough and he bites rough too. I want to keep trying but hoping I’m not making everyone miserable in the process in case he really doesn’t like cats?
Considering you mentioned he was with other cats he could probably get used to them easily. The only problem is him being too rough, but im sure that can be solved.

Handling Cat Biting, Aggression, and Rough Play

You should check out this article if you havent already

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Considering you mentioned he was with other cats he could probably get used to them easily. The only problem is him being too rough, but im sure that can be solved.

Handling Cat Biting, Aggression, and Rough Play

You should check out this article if you havent already
Thank you! Yes, it’s definitely rough play and spend about two hours a day in five sessions playing, bringing new toys, giving affection and I have an air compressor which makes a sound that scares him if he bites me too hard. It seems like this is just going to take time which is hard because I’d love to find him a furrever home ASAP. Thank you.