Cat after dental surgery behavior

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hello everyone. My cat had a successful dental surgery yesterday. 11 teeth removed. He was discharged at 7 PM. It’s now 9 45 PM. So a little over 24 hours. He seems a bit lethargic. He’s been hanging out by the carrier. It’s a comfy carrier and left it there because he seems to relax in there. Comes out once it awhile. He has a great appetite. Had three meals today. He’s only on pain meds and inflammation meds. He had his painkiller at 2 am last night and once this morning at 10 am. I’m just a little worried because I looked online and it said cat should start acting normal after 24 hours. Maybe because the painkiller are not allowing him to sleep? I know that could be a side affect. No antibiotics so it’s not stomach pain I think. He isn’t in pain lethargic. He’s just I don’t know how to explain it. He just lays in the crate curling his feet in a relaxing manner all day aside when it’s time to eat. When he hears me take the food can out he gets up and prepares to eat. Is it possible it can last 24 hours? Maybe it’s the pain killer?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I imagine it is the residual anesthetic. Lilly just had hers cleaned, and she was very nauseous the rest of the afternoon. She was hungry, though, and quite willing to eat. After she ate a little, she felt better. Still, she wasn't herself until the next day. Your kitty will probably feel a lot better tomorrow. As long as he gets up and eats, there's not much to worry about.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would consult the vet, as dental surgery can be quite rough. We had a stray cat (Moses) and had him vetted, neutered, and most of his teeth pulled. He stayed with us to eat for approximately five days after his surgery (possible recovery time?) and then he left. We have seen him on occasion, and I wonder if he comes to eat with the strays and feral cats. The vet told us we did him a favor by having his teeth pulled because he was in a lot of pain. It sounds like your cat is a housecat and I don't think he would leave like our Moses did. Moses barely knew us. IMHO, the carrier is a comfort zone for him. Eleven teeth is a lot. He is probably still in pain and I think it's a great sign that he has a good appetite. Bless you for taking care of your cat so well. I know dental surgery is expensive and you are a good steward and example for pet owners everywhere.