Cat Afraid Of Fan?

Chimera

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat seems terrified of my small fan. He doesn't doesn't mind when it's off, but if I turn it on he refuses to go near it. Is there any way to help him get over this fear? My room gets very hot if I don't have my a fan running, but I don't want to cause him to be anxious for no reason.

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, all our cats don't like the fan. They are not afraid of it but they hate getting their fur ruffled. LOL So, the duck or avoid the fan.
The only thing I can suggest is to keep your cat out of your room when the fan is running.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That's not unusual. Our last cat was afraid of them, so we got a "tower" fan that for some reason wasn't as scary for him. It was quieter than most, but not all that effective.

Mowgli, on the other hand, loves our big oscillating fans. He plops down in front of them and meows for us to turn them on. He was afraid the first time he saw one, but after I carried him back and forth in front of one for a few minutes he decided the cool breeze was wonderful. He's not one to overreact and scratch or bite, though, so it was safe for me to do that.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just keep the fan running when you need it and ignore his fearful behavior. If it’s on long enough he will start to get used to it

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It is not a practical solution for everyone, but if you could install a ceiling fan that might not bother your cat as much. We have a ceiling fan in most every room in our house, and they are very effective at helping keep the rooms cooler, and are generally quieter than most floor or table fans. Feeby is not affected by them whatsoever.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It is not a practical solution for everyone, but if you could install a ceiling fan that might not bother your cat as much. We have a ceiling fan in most every room in our house, and they are very effective at helping keep the rooms cooler, and are generally quieter than most floor or table fans.
:yeah: That was my thought exactly! Ceiling fans work well to cool the room and none of our cats have ever noticed or been affected by them.