Cat Afraid of Electric Fly Swatter

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I recently purchased a few electric fly swatters to help with the overwhelming fly problem in our house. My two cats were a little afraid of it at first, but they seemed to get used to it over a few days. Recently, however, one of them has developed this reaction every time I even GRAB the fly swatter where she starts meowing very softly like she is alerting me of something. At first her eyes got pretty big as well, but now she just mewls stressfully. She doesn't run away or anything, though.

My question is whether the sound of the fly swatter could be hurting her ears. If she is afraid of it, I'm hoping I can get her used to it like my other cat. But if it is truly painful/uncomfortable for her, I'll have to figure out something else to get rid of the flies. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is probably hearing the electronic circuit(s) charging.

They do make a faint, high pitched, whining sound when they are working. It's very faint to the human ear but, to a cat, it might be noticeable.

Cats' hearing covers a greater range of frequencies and is much more sensitive than human hearing.
Some say that a cat's hearing is more sensitive than a dog's. I don't know about that but it sounds plausible.

I don't think that the sound is hurting your cat's ears. I think it's just a sound that she doesn't like.

I don't know how well electronic fly swatters work. Personally, I never thought much of them beyond the novelty of it.
If the thing is bothering your cat, it's probably best to avoid using it around her.

She might get used to it. She might not. It's up to the individual cat. Since your other cats have gotten used to it, I suppose this one will, too.

But...why make your cat uncomfortable when you don't have to.

Just don't use your electronic fly swatter when cats are around or find some other method to get rid of flies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Your cat is probably hearing the electronic circuit(s) charging.

They do make a faint, high pitched, whining sound when they are working. It's very faint to the human ear but, to a cat, it might be noticeable.

Cats' hearing covers a greater range of frequencies and is much more sensitive than human hearing.
Some say that a cat's hearing is more sensitive than a dog's. I don't know about that but it sounds plausible.

I don't think that the sound is hurting your cat's ears. I think it's just a sound that she doesn't like.

I don't know how well electronic fly swatters work. Personally, I never thought much of them beyond the novelty of it.
If the thing is bothering your cat, it's probably best to avoid using it around her.

She might get used to it. She might not. It's up to the individual cat. Since your other cats have gotten used to it, I suppose this one will, too.

But...why make your cat uncomfortable when you don't have to.

Just don't use your electronic fly swatter when cats are around or find some other method to get rid of flies.
Thank you for your input. I don't think I emphasized the severity of the fly problem and how important the fly swatters are. They're the most effective way I've found to quickly reduce a swarm of flies filling a room. We're working to get to the source of the fly problem, but in the meantime I just need to get rid of them and they are in the same room as the cats. They bother all of us. If I noticed she was uncomfortable and I didn't think what I was doing was absolutely necessary, I would just stop. I'm sorry, I'm just at the end of my rope with this whole fly thing and I don't know how else I am supposed to make my house comfortable for everyone. I try to put her out of the room when I use the swatter now and she seems alright that way, but it's not always possible in my household.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only have a couple flys a year, but hunting them down can certainly be vexxing. A swarm would drive me nuts, so you have my sympathies.

If you don't mind me asking, how is it better than an old fashioned fly swatter? I googled it, but don't really understand the concept.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
What is the source of the flies? Can you use one of those baited fly traps in some area of your property? I had a GSD who was highly sensitive to noises that to us were very faint, like an electric stud finder. But he freaked out when he heard it and I get the impression that the cat might not like the sound, but is not overly traumatized. I do see your point about flies.

So this is like a tennis racket for flies and allows you to hit them mid air and it electorcutes them?

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I only have a couple flys a year, but hunting them down can certainly be vexxing. A swarm would drive me nuts, so you have my sympathies.

If you don't mind me asking, how is it better than an old fashioned fly swatter? I googled it, but don't really understand the concept.
What is the source of the flies? Can you use one of those baited fly traps in some area of your property? I had a GSD who was highly sensitive to noises that to us were very faint, like an electric stud finder. But he freaked out when he heard it and I get the impression that the cat might not like the sound, but is not overly traumatized. I do see your point about flies.

So this is like a tennis racket for flies and allows you to hit them mid air and it electorcutes them?
So, yeah, it's like a tennis racket that electrocutes them mid-air. It makes a noticeable zapping sound when it hits one. A normal fly swatter is usually used to swat them when they're landed on something, but this one I can just wave in the middle of a group of them and strike them down instantly. Xanthippe (the little one in question) doesn't seem as scared as she was at first - she doesn't really cower or try to run away, she just meows a couple times like she wants me to stop. Zak, who has an actual anxiety disorder, got used to the noise pretty quickly, but I guess we all have our particular peeves.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a really bad fly problem a couple of years ago when I stood in the open garage kitchen door talking to my two-legged lawnmower. I didn't notice it then, but hundreds of flies must have flown in the house in those five minutes the door was open. I sprayed the ones in the basement that congregated around the lights there and immediately swept them up so the cats wouldn't eat them. There were so many flies I had to do that twice. For the rest of the house, I hung fly strips that I got at the hardware store. That also worked and got rid of the last of them. The spray itself (it was just ordinary flying insect spray) didn't hurt my cats, but needless to say, I didn't do it when they were around.

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a really bad fly problem a couple of years ago when I stood in the open garage kitchen door talking to my two-legged lawnmower. I didn't notice it then, but hundreds of flies must have flown in the house in those five minutes the door was open. I sprayed the ones in the basement that congregated around the lights there and immediately swept them up so the cats wouldn't eat them. There were so many flies I had to do that twice. For the rest of the house, I hung fly strips that I got at the hardware store. That also worked and got rid of the last of them. The spray itself (it was just ordinary flying insect spray) didn't hurt my cats, but needless to say, I didn't do it when they were around.
I do have sticky fly strips around, and they catch a good deal of flies, but they take longer and don't get all of them. I use the swatter to get rid of the ones that are actively harassing us, and unfortunately the cats AND the flies both primarily live in my bedroom so I've been hesitant to use any kind of chemicals. I'm sure a spray would do me wonders but there is no way I could keep the cats from inhaling it.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can understand your concern. My advantage was that the flies were in the basement, and I could shut the cats out.

Have you thought about hair spray? It glues their wings together and they fall down. That should be safe for the cats too, but you will have to pick them all up as they're still alive. I used to use that trick at work.

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I can understand your concern. My advantage was that the flies were in the basement, and I could shut the cats out.

Have you thought about hair spray? It glues their wings together and they fall down. That should be safe for the cats too, but you will have to pick them all up as they're still alive. I used to use that trick at work.
I've never heard of that, I will give it a try! It's a little tricky because my bedroom is carpeted but I'm sure as long as I vacuum immediately I will be able to get them.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
its probably the sound startles her :lol: or maybe she doesnt like the taste of fried fliesgraycie would be going crazy eating flies anytime i get any inside she hunts em down

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting, thats a cool device I had never heard of! I guess flys dont need a lot of current to drop dead.

Even if the cats are chill with it now, sounds like you have to find the source. Have you thrown away all your house plants yet?

Pests are annoying. We found a dead mouse yesterday that looked incredibly like a toy mouse. No visible wounds on it, but it was near the cats night food location, so I assume they broke its neck or in the words of my wife, "I can't breath"ed it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Xanthippe is a very cute name for a cat. Basically, it sounds as if it was odd to her, but not terrifying, so if it works, it might be best to keep using it as opposed to flies everywhere.

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
its probably the sound startles her :lol: or maybe she doesnt like the taste of fried fliesgraycie would be going crazy eating flies anytime i get any inside she hunts em down
Interesting, thats a cool device I had never heard of! I guess flys dont need a lot of current to drop dead.

Even if the cats are chill with it now, sounds like you have to find the source. Have you thrown away all your house plants yet?

Pests are annoying. We found a dead mouse yesterday that looked incredibly like a toy mouse. No visible wounds on it, but it was near the cats night food location, so I assume they broke its neck or in the words of my wife, "I can't breath"ed it.
Xanthippe is a very cute name for a cat. Basically, it sounds as if it was odd to her, but not terrifying, so if it works, it might be best to keep using it as opposed to flies everywhere.
Man I WISH mine would hunt bugs. Really any interest in physical activity or hunting at all would be an improvement. When a bug slow enough to catch their attention goes by, they stare at it for like 30 seconds and then poke it with their paws until it gets away. They're the OPPOSITE of helpful when it comes to catching anything. lol

We don't have any plants, the issue as we've come to understand it is that they are coming in through my window (I think there is an access point in my screen letting the big ones in) while it is open during the day because we live right next to water on one side and an open field of grass on the other. I've limited the amount of time I leave my window open but for certain reasons it is not possible for me to keep it closed all day.

Everyone makes the same joke when we take her to the vet. "That name's bigger than she is!" Lol. We call her Xan most of the time which is very close to my other cat's name, Zak, and I've found a problem with name training two cats is that the other figures out that when you call either name, treats come out. Didn't think this through whatsoever to find a better method when I was training them. So to them, there is no distinction between their names. They are both Zak and Xan interchangeably haha

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its a window design where you don't have and can't get a screen installed in the window? If you can afford it, might be worth replacing the window so you can get a sceen in there and still enjoy fresh air without the flies.

Sheeni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its a window design where you don't have and can't get a screen installed in the window? If you can afford it, might be worth replacing the window so you can get a sceen in there and still enjoy fresh air without the flies.
No no there is a screen, I just think there must be a corner or something where bigger bugs can squeeze through because they seem to still be able to get in somehow.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no there is a screen, I just think there must be a corner or something where bigger bugs can squeeze through because they seem to still be able to get in somehow.
Well, you have cats, it wouldn't surprise me if your screens have small cat-created holes you wouldn't see unless looking closely, and yep, those can 100% let in bugs. If you look and see holes, the next step is seeing if you can find the model numbers on the screen so you can replace it. Not too expensive, but it could be a hassle. Some model screens you can open up and replace the mesh yourself I think, but some you just buy a new one. In my limited experience, its more its hard to find out what and where to buy than it is expensive. The experts at an Anderson approved retailer were unable to identify or match one of the Anderson screens used in my sunroom - it was too old and not a main line model or something. So there can be hassles. But nothing too crazy. Worst case scenario you can have a screen custom made for the size, which is maybe 2-4x the cost.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have Elise and Alice...two ferals I brought inside...and the names were very confusing to them so they morphed to Lily and Chiquita. Lily recognized the high pitched L sound and Chiquita responded to the Q/K sound.

There are portable screens in frames that can be purchased online from places like www.qualitywindowscreens.com. I don't know if that is even possible for your windows.

Very funny how Zak and Zan don't want to help you out by hunting.