Cat Acting weird when I pet her

mfoehrer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently took in a 6 year old cat who's owner passed away last year. (didn't find out about that til 2 months ago when I took her in). Lately though when I go to pet her or she comes to me for attention she will start licking my hand, rubbing up against it really fast, and then bite, but the bite is not hard though there's never really much force behind it and its never hurt me. Does anyone know what it means?

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds like either a love nip or over-stimulation from petting.  Hopefully someone with more experience can give you more advice.  One of my cats does the occasional love nip as a sign of affection.  One of my other cats can get over stimulated sometimes when he is being pet.  If I am paying close attention to his body language I can usually prevent it.  He does not bite hard either.  I got him as a kitten and this behavior has decreased over time.  He has learned that he does not get attention when he bites me.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw. This kitty has been through a lot of changes--thank you for rescuing her!

My gut guess about the nipping is she still remembers her former owner, and is letting you know that although she appreciates you, she really appreciates you, "I belong to someone else". It'll take a little while, but the fact that she is showing you LOTS of affection is good! My other guess is she's kinda tasting you. Seriously. That she isn't biting is good, but I'd not let the nips go on.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think its love nips. My kittens rub their face on my hands. They have scent glands there and its a way to mark their scent on you. Its just her way to say your mine.