Cat acting weird hours after being mildly sedated?

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat had an appointment earlier today. He had to be put under to get an ultrasound. This was 6 or 7 hours ago now and I am starting to worry because he is acting strange. Usually, he is a bit wobbly and drunk and is fine after 3 hours because the vet uses something to bring him out of it. This time he went to a new vet and I am thinking they used something different. He has not slept since being home and he just stared blankly in front of him. He has eaten about a can's worth of food which took him a very long time. He would have periods of just staring at the dish for 10 to 20 minutes at a time and then he would eat and do it again. He is completely stable, walking straight and everything like that. He is able to locate his box as well. His eyes are heavily dilated still.

He got a cancer diagnosis so I have been a mess since then but now I am worried about this. He is just not himself at all. I should have been in bed already and I can't bring myself to lay down because I am worried something might happen to him. It is freaking me out to see him like this still. I would have thought this would have shown signs of wearing off by now but he is just as bad as when he was brought home.

I was sitting by him, he is in one of the cat tree cubbies, and I was petting him. He purred which I guess is a good sign but I have never seen him like this before. Could it be the medication interacting with the sedation he had earlier? He was put on liquid piroxicam (every other day dosage) to shrink his tumor. I gave it to him shortly after he got home. The vet didn't advise me to wait on that. If I made a mistake, I am going to feel so terrible.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It totally depends what they give. Other cats I've had spayed or neutered, I didn't really notice it lasting so long, but the most recent one the vet warned me she was using something long lasting, and the cat acted totally wasted for the rest of the day.

ChandlerS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I took Charlie my little girl to get her teeth cleaned for the first time and she too is wobbly and she just sits and stares at the door like someone’s coming in but there’s no one there and she hasn’t slept in almost 24 hours. My heart breaks for you because these are our children and to have one sick. I just pray that God gives you the strength and support that you need to get through whatever it is you’re dealing with right now. I myself haven’t really slept much but more than Charlie although she did just jump up on my bed twice lay down for a while but she’s really squirmy and then of course she jumps off the bed and goes and stares at the door. I don’t know what’s going on and I’m very sad it’s not even the word concerns. Not even the word this is my daughter.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BluOnyx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today I took Charlie my little girl to get her teeth cleaned for the first time and she too is wobbly and she just sits and stares at the door like someone’s coming in but there’s no one there and she hasn’t slept in almost 24 hours. My heart breaks for you because these are our children and to have one sick. I just pray that God gives you the strength and support that you need to get through whatever it is you’re dealing with right now. I myself haven’t really slept much but more than Charlie although she did just jump up on my bed twice lay down for a while but she’s really squirmy and then of course she jumps off the bed and goes and stares at the door. I don’t know what’s going on and I’m very sad it’s not even the word concerns. Not even the word this is my daughter.
He passed away later that year. He only made it maybe 5 months after his diagnosis. Had to be taken into the ER for breathing trouble, was meant to see his vet the next day but died in the car on the way home. The shock was terrible and it still hurts but I know he had to be suffering, he had bladder cancer that had spread.

Unfortunately, I have another cat that was diagnosed with heart failure earlier this year so I am going through another battle here. Doing everything I can for him. Thus far he has been stable with his medication.