Cat acting different, might have eaten some flowers

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got some flowers from the grocery store last week and both Remy and Flora keep trying to eat them. I stop them when I see it, but I know they've been doing it when I haven't been nearby. The flowers themselves are mildly toxic to cats according to Google (stomach upset mostly), they are alstromerias and either carnations or mums (I'm not good at identifying flowers). Flora has been acting differently since yesterday and hiding in the basement. If she doesn't start acting normally by tonight or tomorrow, I'll be taking her to the vet, but does anyone have any experience with cats who have eaten mildly toxic flowers? How long does it take for them to start feeling better?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Unfortunately for this reason I don't like to keep flowers in the house so I grow perennials and annuals in the yard during summer. Here is another list of toxic and non-toxic plants from the ASPCA: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

I hope Remy and Flora are okay but definitely call the vet if Flora is not feeling better and continues to hide in the basement. Please keep us posted on both kitties.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately for this reason I don't like to keep flowers in the house so I grow perennials and annuals in the yard during summer. Here is another list of toxic and non-toxic plants from the ASPCA: Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List - Cats

I hope Remy and Flora are okay but definitely call the vet if Flora is not feeling better and continues to hide in the basement. Please keep us posted on both kitties.
She is still hiding out but she has been coming out more. I'm starting to believe it is less because she was feeling sick from the flowers and actually a result of something that happened between her and one of my dogs. She's seems very fearful of my male dog but she was never afraid of him before. I don't know what happened. Maybe she was also feeling sick but she's associating something with my dogs with not feeling well.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Most common harmful substances they get out of their stomachs quickly. Has there been any vomiting, diarrhea or problems breathing? If she’s acting out of character though definitely take her to the vets, just for peace of mind.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats do like a good nibble though, and if your cat gets through this OK, cat grass is OK. I sometimes bring Zorro outdoor grass to nosh.