Cat acting bizzare around new kitten

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How does the older cat react if you separate them, eg. put the kitten in a room and close the door to keep her out?

I have a cat who can get pretty vocal whenever there’s a disturbance in his environment - the furniture has been rearranged, there’s a spider on the wall, water from the upstairs apartment is leaking from the ceiling (he is a very good kitty for alerting me to that one!), etc. He has quite a range of vocalizations when this happens, sometimes it will almost sound like he’s grumbling/muttering or trying to hold a conversation with the furniture.

I think your cat’s behavior sounds more like that than it does maternal instincts - mother cats are not usually that vocal with kittens, and you haven’t mentioned her licking/grooming the kitten.

Has she ever shown a tendency in the past to get vocal over changes in her environment? (Even if not *this* vocal…)

It may be worth finding out if “hiding” the kitten behind a closed door for a little while can buy you some peace and quiet. It’s probably a good idea to separate her from the kitten at night anyway since you’re not awake to supervise their interactions. She’ll settle down eventually, but until then both you and the kitten could probably do with some breaks from the constant noise.

(And thank goodness cats don’t bark!! Even when mine really gets going, we’ve never had any complaints from the neighbors!)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnjixKiri111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's beautiful. How's she doing today. Has her meowing calmed down any?
Thank you ♥ Well she seems to be calmed down a little, although I dont know if that's my wishful thinking, but she's chasing the kitten less and it's more or less quieter around the house. She has started grooming her and the kitten seems to love it, and she also willingly sleeps next to her now. They are also started play fighting which is adorable ♥

EnjixKiri111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How does the older cat react if you separate them, eg. put the kitten in a room and close the door to keep her out?

I have a cat who can get pretty vocal whenever there’s a disturbance in his environment - the furniture has been rearranged, there’s a spider on the wall, water from the upstairs apartment is leaking from the ceiling (he is a very good kitty for alerting me to that one!), etc. He has quite a range of vocalizations when this happens, sometimes it will almost sound like he’s grumbling/muttering or trying to hold a conversation with the furniture.

I think your cat’s behavior sounds more like that than it does maternal instincts - mother cats are not usually that vocal with kittens, and you haven’t mentioned her licking/grooming the kitten.

Has she ever shown a tendency in the past to get vocal over changes in her environment? (Even if not *this* vocal…)

It may be worth finding out if “hiding” the kitten behind a closed door for a little while can buy you some peace and quiet. It’s probably a good idea to separate her from the kitten at night anyway since you’re not awake to supervise their interactions. She’ll settle down eventually, but until then both you and the kitten could probably do with some breaks from the constant noise.

(And thank goodness cats don’t bark!! Even when mine really gets going, we’ve never had any complaints from the neighbors!)
She goes back to normal when the kitten is locked away, which she usually is when we sleep since I'd like to keep my house in tact. But now I can definitely say it was motherly instincts, she has absolutely adopted the kitten, grooming her all day, play fighting that sort of thing. She was never vocal before which is why it was such a shock, but today everything is significantly calmer ♥

EnjixKiri111

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's beautiful. How's she doing today. Has her meowing calmed down any?
One thing I forgot to mention, the kitten has started trying to suckle on her 🤣 but my poor girl doesn't lactate and the kitten is quite aggressive with it so we try to stop it

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitten ran into your house for a good reason!! Congratulations on the new family member!