Cat Acne?

catluvr98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed my cat had a growing black scab under her chin, which I assumed had just been her fur changing color (maybe getting a spot or something? haha) . She also has small rice grain black scabs. The large black scab has fallen off, and they don't seem to be hurting her, but i don't want them to get to a point where they will. We called the vet, who recommended either Neosporin or medical wipes/cream, but he didn't advise what kind. Wondering if anything has helped for anyone else? Thanks. the pics are only one section btw
IMG_9019.JPG IMG_9015.JPG

Starlion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
At one point my dog had something like that, we left it alone, because it didn't bother her, and eventually they went away

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stridex acne pad (yes, the kind teenagers use) can be used on your cat's chin. So can witch hazel, found in the first aid aisle next to the hydrogen peroxide and rubbing alcohol. The black specks can be combed out with a fine toothed comb.

Switching to non-plastic food and water bowls can help. Try glass or stainless steel.

Feline Acne

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little white cat had chin acne after 4 months in a cone. I switched to ceramic water bowls, they get run through the dishwasher ever few days. I also mainly feed wet, and dry, on paper plates. changed out after every meal.

What my vet recommended for my little girls chin, and it worked beautiful. I would soap her chin up every 3 days or so, then rinse it very well with a really wet soft cloth.

I did not use any ointment or anything else, except the shampoo. If you do use an ointment, do not use one with the pain relief in it, that is toxic to cats.

Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiseptic & Antifungal Shampoo

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used Neosporin on cat acne years ago. If you use Neosporin it has to be the one without pain relief. The one with pain relief is not safe for cats. I was told this by a vet about 15 years ago. I have never tried Stridex.

If you are using plastic bowls for food and water please switch to ceramic or metal bowls. Plastic bowls can actually cause chin acne. I did not know this until my vet told me to get new bowls that are ceramic or metal. I have metal bowls for food. I also have metal and ceramic cat fountains.

The vet did look at my cat's chin acne when I brought him in for an exam for something else. His acne was very mild and had just started. The Neosporin did get rid of it. It never came back.