Cat Acne? Rodent Ulcer? Help needed.

KrustiKakes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background since it has been a while since I have been her: My soul kitty, Tuvok, passed away Dec. 27th, 2022 (2 days before that, I lost my father). It was a rough time, and I was incredibly sad. I went to visit a cat shelter a few weeks later just to "snuggle some kitties" and ended up adopting a pair of 6 month old brothers. I assumed that adopting such young kitties meant I would have many years of good health, but that was not the case. In late June 2023 one of the kittens, Mohawk, was diagnosed with wet FIP (of course he was!). We are now on day #98 of treatment (he got an 8 week extension) and have been doing well (with plenty of ups and downs).

And now to the present. Yesterday evening during Mohawk's injection time I always put a Churu tube in front of his lips to distract him, and that is when I noticed it looked a little pink and swollen. I googled what it could be and saw it could be something called a rodent ulcer. Today I noticed it was more swollen, and now I see a black spot on his chin. This makes me think it could also be cat acne. He was using a plastic fountain, so I took that away last night after reading that should be step #1. I also was more careful this evening with the Churu as I often get Churu on his chin during this time. He always licks it off, but I am wondering if it could cause the acne/rodent ulcer?

I have emailed his vet as well as left a voicemail to try to get into an appointment this week, but can anyone look at these pictures and tell me if it looks closer to acne or a rodent ulcer? Besides getting rid of the plastic fountain should I do anything else? We use a lot of plastic with him. A lot of his wet food comes in plastic, and his syringe for feeding him his gabapentin is plastic. Do those things usually create an issue or it it more likely to be from a fountain? I also worry about food allergies as he has always had a sensitive stomach. A month ago we started him on Hill's Prescription Digestive Care i/d. Could that food cause a problem?

After everything I went through with Tuvok and now Mohawk I have become an overly sensitive cat mom that worries too much. I just want to make sure it does seem like something pretty simple, and I am hoping I can do something to help him until he can be seen by his vet. I was thinking maybe a warm compress held to his chin may help? Any tips of tricks on how to help his chin heal is much appreciated.

Attachments

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi.
I am sorry about your loss of your kitty and the FIP diagnosis with this one. How is the other 6-month-old kitten doing? Although, I am sure he is older than 6 months now.
I am not a veterinarian and cannot, obviously diagnose anything with your cat. I don't have a license and haven't seen your cat in person. That being said, I can tell you what I think, and what I would do if this was my cat.

It doesn't look like any rodent ulcers I have seen. A rodent ulcer is actually eosinophilic granuloma complex. It can manifest in different locations on the cat. When it is on the lip it is called a rodent ulcer. When I have seen them, and I have seen allot of them, they look different. Just google for pictures and you can see that they don't look at all like your cat's lip. I suppose it could turn into that, but it doesn't look like it now in the picture.

It looks like your cat either has a mild start of acne or some irritation on the chin. Of course, I don't know. Just saying what it looks like to me. Obviously if it is concerning you or bothering your cat, by all means, send your vet the photos and or get an appointment.

using stainless steel bowls and dishes are best or porcelain. Also making sure you wash the dishes in hot water and dish soap, rinsing well daily, If your entire fountain is plastic, I wouldn't throw it away, but maybe put it away for now. They do make fountains out of stainless steel and porcelain now. Also, if feeding canned food, be sure to feed on a flat plate, not a bowl.

I wouldn't mess with the chin at all and see if it improves. But if you are concerned, call your vet when they open.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Fountains in genneral can get quite yucky and i've yet to see one with a ceramic or metal pump and tubes.

The puree treats can be squeezed into a ceramic salad plate. I do this for indy's chicken and scallops lickables. Hers is actualy bone china. A bunnykins plate that was mine.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I tend to agree with the others. Switch to non-porous bowls, swap out/clean daily, and keep that chin clean. I bet the tube treats are part of the cause. Could put it on your finger and he could lick it there? Whatever it takes to keep it off his chin.