Cat acne? Ingrown hair?

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is this weird black thing that was sticking out of the side of my cats mouth/face? I’ve seen cat acne before but this one was odd. Not only was it on the right side of his face at the lip line, but it is also oblong in shape. When I pulled it out, it had a little white “anchor” string, like a follicle from a hair?? (Kind of visible to the left tip.)
Resized_20240228_014942.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Who knows what that is. It could be food or dirt that was caked and when you pulled it the hair follicle came with it. Maybe it is a form of acne/black head, or any other number of skin conditions. If it didn't bleed, and the site looks OK, I would just check for it to recur, and maybe keep that area clean for now. If it does recur, it would probably be best to have a vet take a look at it, before pulling it out. Or, you could take a pic and send it to the vet, but I am not sure they would be able to determine what exactly it is by just a pic alone.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

jahzara

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. Who knows what that is. It could be food or dirt that was caked and when you pulled it the hair follicle came with it. Maybe it is a form of acne/black head, or any other number of skin conditions. If it didn't bleed, and the site looks OK, I would just check for it to recur, and maybe keep that area clean for now. If it does recur, it would probably be best to have a vet take a look at it, before pulling it out. Or, you could take a pic and send it to the vet, but I am not sure they would be able to determine what exactly it is by just a pic alone.
Thanks for the reply. I do know it was there the day before. I saw it when he rolled over and just thought it was some dirt he picked up from the carpet during rolling. But then saw it there still last night.
Didn’t bleed or distress him and came out easily. I’ll keep my eye out to see if it comes back.