Cat (4yo) Having Stomach Issues/ Herpes Virus

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm fostering to adopt a kitten, who after being exposed to my cats, developed symptoms of the herpes virus. She had already had the virus but of course I didn't find out until after introducing her to my two boys. Both of my other cats are vaccinated and given that they were street cats from the humane society I assumed they already had the virus. She (the foster) had to be treated with antibiotics and terramycin for her eyes, but the antibiotics made her sick so we had to go back to the vet and get a different antibiotic and purina fortiflora for her food.
Unfortunately her 2 visits cleared my bank account and I won't be able to go back to the vets until the weekend.
Now my one year old cat has been having symptoms I expected. He gags a few times a day and I have to clean his eyes, otherwise he is normal. I expect that he'll clear up on his own.

My four year old, Sebastian, has been having some strange symptoms though. He isn't sneezing or coughing but his eyes are running. The liquid is clear and watery. More concerning though is that he vomits right after he eats. He eats tiki cat and seems to be vomiting it straight up. It's a little slimy and afterwords he sometimes vomits a little bit of white foamy stuff so I thought he might have too much mucus in his stomach but I can't find any information on what is causing this or if that is even a thing that happens. His energy level is normal but he has only been doing this for a day and a half. What can I do to help him?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! For your Sebastian's tummy, can you try a 50:50 boiled unseasoned chicken and white rice for a couple of meals? Or maybe some Gerber Stage 2, or beechnut meat flavored baby food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alinalou

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Furballsmom Furballsmom Thank you for the advice! I’ll keep that in mind next time his stomach feels tender.

The problem seems to be gone today though I’d like to think putting this out there that you guys on the site have been sending us some good vibes.

I’ve elevated his food bowl and have been running a humidifier all day and night too. I fed him tiki cat wild salmon and chicken and he kept it all down. Sebastian is a picky eater though he won’t eat any wet food that doesn’t have a fish flavor in it. I bought some pumpkin just in case because I haven’t seen what he is going to do in the box now that he has eaten.

His brother Silas has also been completely normal. Sheena (the kitten) had to go back on the antibiotic that initially gave her bad diarrhea but I’m hoping the other antibiotic and probiotic will prevent it this time. If she does have it again should I give her pumpkin too?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think yes, maybe double check with your vet just to be sure but the Pumpkin could be helpful :)
And absolutely, we're sending all sorts of good thoughts!!