Cat #2 hissing/growling at Cat #1 after visit to the vet...

jb68711

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat, Huckleberry just got home from a 36 hour stay at the vet... here's that story http://www.thecatsite.com/t/287515/please-send-prayers-and-positive-thoughts-toward-huckleberry

Huckleberry is home now, and my other cat, Levi, is hissing and growling when he sees Huckleberry. Levi is not attacking, just hisses or growls if Huckleberry comes within a certain distance (15 feet). They're buddies, they've lived together for seven years (Huckleberry age 8, Levi age 7).  I'm scolding Levi and am extra sensitive toward Huckleberry right now. They've never been apart for more than a few hours... I just want to know if this is a situation that will resolve itself and the precautions I should take. 

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good news. This is generally normal.

Cats live in a world of scents. They recognize things, people and each other by smell first. When Huckleberry came back from the vet, chances are he picked up some really strange smells at the vet. Sterilized equipments, chemical, strange people handling him, who knows. Levi doesn't recognize his brother anymore, because he smells funny. 

You can try separating them for a bit, and re-do the introduction process. To speed the process up, get some pure vanilla extract (not the imitation type), and dab some onto the base of the tails of both cats. You can also put some on a towel and rub both cats with that towel. This makes them smell similar and may help Levi not reject Huckleberry so quickly.

Try it and let us know how it goes!