Cat 10+ years with diarreha and dragging his tail

70Barb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Would like any home remedies to help my cat, Laika, get well. He's an outside cat mostly. He is the sweetest thing that loves to rub his head mostly on everything..and will rub legs too. 😁😁 It drives my husband crazy. I've had him since he was about 5 or 6 weeks old. He and his sister were found at the back door of our church, were brought to me and I snuck them home. lol
the sister is a fat short legged beauty, that is allowed to sleep on our bed. They've always been healthy so this is new..
with all that is going on nothing is hardly open, so any help would be welcome thanks

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You can always give him pedialyte, or at least some saline solution, because he loses his salts and electrolytes when in diarrhea.

Rice water after well overcooked rice is an old home remedy... Use such rice water, add minerale kitchen salt...

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Personally I suggest canned unsweetened pumpkin and of course, wet food for starters. When specter's gut is unhappy I over boil chicken and give her that. Not as a meal staple unless you have a premix, though.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Aside from trying the above suggestions, when was the last time he had a full scale check up with the vet? If not very recently, at least call the vet and tell them what is going on to see what they might want to do - a lot of vets are open at least part of the time, or can refer you to one who is in case they think he should be looked over.

Once a cat becomes a senior, all kinds of things could be going on with him. Is he eating/drinking/peeing OK? Dragging his tail sounds like he isn't feeling very well, or possibly in pain - and since he is mainly outdoors, who knows what he might have gotten into and eaten, or been exposed to otherwise. How long has the diarrhea been going on?