Cash Back

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to Safeway today. I did my shopping and at the till asked for $40.00 cash back. The girl entered in the $40.00 to my bill amount and I used my debit card.

When I got to the checkout I had 20 minutes to get through the checkout before my ride came. It was a home delivery order and she called to ask for help but no one came, so she was being mindful of the time so that I wouldn't miss my ride and was concentrating on getting my order through, the coupons entered and the bags packed and counted.

When I got home I went to put my money into my wallet (I had put the receipt etc into the main part of my purse) only to discover she had given me the grocery receipt and a delivery slip, but no cash.

I called the store. They have to do a till count to determine if the till has an overage.

Please send vibes that her till isn't coming up short and that any discrepancy is an overage of my missing $40.00!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Argh! I just called to see if they had done the till audit. Apparently they don't do one until store closing, which is 11pm! And the cash drawer for that till is still in use and will be until store closing! That's 11 hours for things to go amiss!!

You would think that they would have taken that cash drawer out of circulation for the day and replaced it with a new one!

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's odd... I work in retail, we do cash back as well. There have been a couple of times where people have called after the fact to say that they are missing the money that they were supposed to get, so we do an audit immediately. There should also only be one cashier per cash drawer, for loss prevention reasons. That's really odd...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by nerdrock

That's odd... I work in retail, we do cash back as well. There have been a couple of times where people have called after the fact to say that they are missing the money that they were supposed to get, so we do an audit immediately. There should also only be one cashier per cash drawer, for loss prevention reasons. That's really odd...
Definitely odd!

I know what you mean about 1 cashier per drawer! Years ago when I was 17 years old or so I worked at a restaurant located in our Concert Hall. I was usually cashier on the shifts I worked, and when I was on break the assistant manager covered.

My drawer always came up short!!! Always! Not by much, usually under the allowable limit). However, on weekends when someone else covered for me, there was no shortage.

Others who worked cash noticed the same trend when they worked and she covered.

It was eventually determined that she was taking from the till and was fired.

A couple years ago I was at McDonald's at a Walmart location. I gave the girl $20.00 for my purchase and she gave me back change for a $10.00 bill. I pointed it out to her, but she had put my $20.00 into the till and insisted I gave her $10.00. Even the guy behind me told her that I gave her $20.00. The manager took the drawer and did a count immediately to determine if there was any overage, which there was, and I was given the balance of my change.

I'm rather shocked with Safeway.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I had that happen to me once.. walked out and realized no cash back! Called the store, they ran the audit on the register, and it came out even. After a few days of talking to the managers (in some cases, arguing), it was discovered the cashier had somehow pocketed MY money, knowing the register would be over anyway and let me walk away, thinking I had the cash.

And I had proof from my bank that I, indeed, requested cash back

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Safeway receipt does show that I requested $40.00 cash.

However, if the till comes up even, I don't think there is much that I can do because it would come down to their word against mine. And if that is the case, I will be so upset because $40.00 is a whole lot of money to be out!!!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, that is strange. They should be able to calculate this immediately and you should go and get your money!!!! Talk with the manager. hope you get the forty bucks!

darkmavis

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, I can't believe they're making you wait until the store closes at 11PM for them to count the till!!! That is crazy! I wonder if you can call maybe around 5 or so, when a different manager would probably be on, and explain the situation and ask if they REALLY are going to still make you wait til the end of the day. Ridiculous.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

My Safeway receipt does show that I requested $40.00 cash.

However, if the till comes up even, I don't think there is much that I can do because it would come down to their word against mine. And if that is the case, I will be so upset because $40.00 is a whole lot of money to be out!!!
When we get cash back in any of our stores we are required to initial the receipt before they will give us the cash so if the receipt is not initialled then that would prove we did not get the cash.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agreed. I've never heard of a store "recycling" a drawer that way. Any chance you can go back down there and get them to straighten this out?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's terrible. I hope you're able to get things resolved; I'd be upset too!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

When we get cash back in any of our stores we are required to initial the receipt before they will give us the cash so if the receipt is not initialled then that would prove we did not get the cash.
It's inconsistent. At one time it was a policy that you had to initial when you were given the cash. Now some ask and others don't, and some have even told me that they no longer require it at all. Needless to say I didn't initial anything today.

Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Agreed. I've never heard of a store "recycling" a drawer that way. Any chance you can go back down there and get them to straighten this out?
The thing is that I take Handi Transit and they require booking by 11:00 am the day before for ride arrangements. And seeing that it was after 11am when this happened, it's too late for me to make arrangements to go back tomorrow. The earliest I would be able to get there would be on Thursday. I could take a taxi, but it would cost me nearly $15.00 round trip. It's bad enough that going there by Handi Transit is going to cost me an additional $5.00. The only reason I have to go back that way at all is to pick up the money they owe me. Otherwise I wouldn't be going back that way for about 2 or 3 more weeks when I next grocery shopped.

I was having my groceries delivered and I had hoped that they could just put the money into an envelope and tuck it deep inside one of the bags to save me a trip back. But they wouldn't do that

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
So I'm guessing by your post that they DID find your cash (the cash drawer was over $40?)

Did you tell that that it's going to cost you more money to return to the store to get your cash? They should reimburse you either the cab fair or the Handi Transit fee, and I'll bet they will if you tell them about it.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe the manager would make a note of it as a credit for you to use next time? Surely they would help you out if they knew your situation... wouldn't they?

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrsgreenjeens

So I'm guessing by your post that they DID find your cash (the cash drawer was over $40?)
I don't know yet. It's only 6:30 pm here. They close at 11 pm. That's when they will do a cash out and determine if the drawer is over.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I had a cashier (who also happened to be a department manager) at a local store start talking to me as I was checking out. I got distracted and I guess she did, too. I gave her a hundred and she gave me change for I think a twenty. I realized it as soon as I was walking off and went right back to tell her, but she insisted I hadn't given her that much money. The store manager was notified, but they wouldn't do anything that day...he said they'd have to wait until they closed out the register for the evening. He took my name and number. I called him first thing the next morning and by that afternoon I had my money back. I can understand how you feel and I hope you get your money back soon.

herekittykitty8

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did everything work out OK for you?
I've had something like this happen to me also, unfortunately, the girl pocketed the money so the register count looked like she gave me the money. needless to say they lost a customer.
lots of for you