Casey/gracie

mzzyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know that this is going to sound strange or you will think maybe I can't tell the difference between a male and female cat/kitten. My kitten is 6 months old and I am absolutely positive that he is a boy (I worked at vet's office for 2 years). He went into heat for 2 days last month and 2 days this month. I know how a cat acts when they go into heat and I swear it was a heat. Can he possibly have some parts of both male and female? I have an appointment to have him neutered in 2 weeks.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. S/he could certainly be hermaphroditic. It is rare in cats, as it is in humans, but IT DOES HAPPEN. We had a new member post not too long ago about her adventures in getting her hermaphroditic kitten de-sexed. Now, he had obviously atypical external genitalia, but some look one way on the outside and something different is happening internally.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Maybe it would be worth your while to have x-rays, ultrasound, or scan done to see in advance if this is the issue? I am sure the vet would appreciate the 'heads up' and would certainly be to the benefit of your cat for this to be known before surgery.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you post some pictures? I'm curious!

But, yeah, it's definitely possible for a cat to be intersex. I'd have the vet do an examination to see if they can sort out what's what.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mzzyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. S/he could certainly be hermaphroditic. It is rare in cats, as it is in humans, but IT DOES HAPPEN. We had a new member post not too long ago about her adventures in getting her hermaphroditic kitten de-sexed. Now, he had obviously atypical external genitalia, but some look one way on the outside and something different is happening internally.
Thank you for your reply. I don't feel like I'm losing my mind now.

mzzyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Can you post some pictures? I'm curious!

But, yeah, it's definitely possible for a cat to be intersex. I'd have the vet do an examination to see if they can sort out what's what.
I will ask the vet to do an examination and give him all the symptoms.

mzzyrae

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe it would be worth your while to have x-rays, ultrasound, or scan done to see in advance if this is the issue? I am sure the vet would appreciate the 'heads up' and would certainly be to the benefit of your cat for this to be known before surgery.
For sure I will give the vet a heads up