Carrier: Clean it or toss it?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to take Delilah to the vet yesterday. This vet was further away from our usual vet and the drive much longer.

Going was ok, but either from stress or waiting, Delilah pottied in her carrier. When we got home I put her in the bathroom to clean up, and the carrier on the porch.

This was not a nice solid poo. This was the stinky squishy kind. Its imbedded in the bottom pad plush, the strap that latches the collar to keep from jumping out, and the corner seam under the pad. It's one of those soft carriers.

The carrier is still on the porch. I haven't been ready to deal with the cleanup.

Should I try to clean it, or should I just toss it and get another one?

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i live in apartments with shared laundry facillities so i would probably try to clean it in the shower and then clean shower afterwards. would feel wrong to toss it in the washer other people use to then again its always fun to shop for new cat stuff :flail:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd at least make an attempt to clean it before tossing it. If it was me I'd start with a spray head on a hose and spray the padding as much as I could to see how much of the crap could be blown out by the water pressure.

Though, honestly, I never saw the appeal to soft carriers, I use solid plastic because it's much easier to keep clean.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If you have an outside faucet and a hose, first hose it down to remove as much "debris" as possible. If you have a plastic container that is large enough to hold the carrier, place it it the container, add water with detergent and let it soak, then rinse, and repeat with some white vinegar added to the mix - at this point you can take a scrub brush and remove any remaining stain and odor if needed.

EDIT: For the future, any pad that goes at the bottom of the carrier should be securely encased in plastic, and then covered with a washable towel. I used a plastic bag and then tape it up with the tape side down before adding the towel over top of it.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pad might be washable. Check for a label. What material is the pad made out of? Most things can be washed in cold water on a normal or gently cycle and line dry.

The rest of the carrier can be hosed down or washed in the tub or sink. A brush might be needed to remove embedded dirt.

If you opt to buy a new similar carrier, you don't really need to use the pad that it comes with. An old folded towel works and you can cover it with a puppy pad to contain messes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The pad is washable. I've washed out pee before. This is the first time we've had a poo accident.

I didn't go with a plastic carrier because I thought it would be heavier to carry.

I wish i had a hose in my apartment... but at least I do have my own washer. Hopefully the heat on the porch has dried it out enough to make it easier to scrape out.

Otherwise its new carrier time.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I went to clean it.

Its a stinky gooey mess spread on the bottom and side. Good thing I put her in the bathroom and didn't let her into the apartment immediately because cleaning up the apartment would be a mess.

I think it's toss time.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't go with a plastic carrier because I thought it would be heavier to carry.
They are, but are also so much easier to clean. All you need is something to spray out the inside, you could even clean it in your shower if you don't have access to a hose or laundry tub with a spray head. Spray it out, dry it, then wipe the inside down with whatever you usually use.

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to take Delilah to the vet yesterday. This vet was further away from our usual vet and the drive much longer.

Going was ok, but either from stress or waiting, Delilah pottied in her carrier. When we got home I put her in the bathroom to clean up, and the carrier on the porch.

This was not a nice solid poo. This was the stinky squishy kind. Its imbedded in the bottom pad plush, the strap that latches the collar to keep from jumping out, and the corner seam under the pad. It's one of those soft carriers.

The carrier is still on the porch. I haven't been ready to deal with the cleanup.

If you can afford another one...
I would toss it;):):thumbsup:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I had one who peed, pooped and Sometimes vomited any time she went to the vet, which was unfortunately often. An all plastic carrier was the only way to go. Cleaning her up afterwards was enough to deal with. I would toss it and get a plastic one.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I may have to look at them.

Delilah really hates the carrier. While I'm driving she tries to push her way out of the top panel. One time, coming home from this vet, she started up a huge struggle to get out. Thank God I had the carrier seat belted or else she would have rolled the carrier onto the floor while i was driving on the highway.

Once we get this medical issue solved I'm changing to a closer vet. The stress of the drive is too much for both us.

AshwinR

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

My little one does the same. He's a stress pooper. I wanted to get a nice fabric carrier instead of a cheap plastic one, but I;m happy I got the cheap plastic one. It's easy to clean.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd at least make an attempt to clean it before tossing it. If it was me I'd start with a spray head on a hose and spray the padding as much as I could to see how much of the crap could be blown out by the water pressure.

Though, honestly, I never saw the appeal to soft carriers, I use solid plastic because it's much easier to keep clean.
Yeah, I had to stop using soft because every time we went to the vet Cici would freak and tinkle.

Personally I'm in favor of tossing & getting a hard one, but if you want to try and clean it you might need an enzyme cleaner maybe?

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I may have to look at them.

Delilah really hates the carrier. While I'm driving she tries to push her way out of the top panel. One time, coming home from this vet, she started up a huge struggle to get out. Thank God I had the carrier seat belted or else she would have rolled the carrier onto the floor while i was driving on the highway.

Once we get this medical issue solved I'm changing to a closer vet. The stress of the drive is too much for both us.
My vet is pretty far out too. I keep saying we need to find a vet closer but it's so nerve wracking when you build a good connection and our animals LOVE our vet (we <3 them too!) I think it's a good idea to have one close though at least as an option that you trust

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet is pretty far out too. I keep saying we need to find a vet closer but it's so nerve wracking when you build a good connection and our animals LOVE our vet (we <3 them too!) I think it's a good idea to have one close though at least as an option that you trust
I still really haven't found "the vet" yet - I've only had Delilah 3 months. I started with Banfield but I'm not satisfied with their handling of Delilah's situation. He didn't even shave her belly to check for a spay scar.

The shelter gave me a voucher to their vet in case Delilah required a spay. Their vet found the spay scar, and they gave me a discount on the $300 hormone test to discover if she has an ovary remnant.

After this issue is resolved I'm going to start looking at closer vets.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing that could help with Cats that mess during road trips is covering the carrier with a blanket or something that restricts their view, like how you would for a feral that's in a live trap. One of mine would poop and vomit during car trips and once I started throwing a large towel over the Carrier it rarely happened unless it was a long drive.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Puppy pads on the bottom and taped up the sides also helps with mess cleanup. And they help keep the pee from rolling through the carrier and the cat through it.
This is a great idea, or a piece of leftover carpet remnant taped or velcroed to the bottom of the hard carrier so your cat has something to hang on to rather than just a slippery bottom surface.

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great ideas y'all 👏

I had to return something to Petsmart. It was half the cost of a hard carrier so I got the one that has the 2 doors.

Hopefully I can get her into it. She's tricky. With the soft one I sat it up on one end then slid her in. Zipped it closed then flip it forward.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Great ideas y'all 👏

I had to return something to Petsmart. It was half the cost of a hard carrier so I got the one that has the 2 doors.

Hopefully I can get her into it. She's tricky. With the soft one I sat it up on one end then slid her in. Zipped it closed then flip it forward.
Try standing it on end so the door is facing up and lower her into it. That's how I have to get a couple of mine into a carrier, they really do not like getting into one.