Carrier Built For 2?

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
After my 8lb tornado busted out of his soft sided duffle carrier, and breaking his nails on the borrowed hard carrier from the vet, I still haven't found a replacement that I liked. I like the soft styles, except now I'm mistrustful of him breaking through the zippers, and I don't want him tearing up his nails on the more secure hard shells. I'm thinking my safest bet to reduce his anxiety is to have his "brother" in tow. They're both getting a bit big for the other soft carrier I had bought for the other cat, so I'm wondering if there was something that would be relatively easy to carry both of them in without cramping them? I'm wondering if I should embrace the crazy cat lady thing and invest in a stroller, but those look a bit small too and I don't think they would be suitable for use in a car on the way to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know I've seen carriers on the internet for two cats - but, I don't remember where. Did you look for them already?
It's mostly dog crates or these big mesh cubes meant for travel more than carrying. There just hasn't been anything that has had much of an impression on me. I'm nervous about anything mesh but I'm assuming if he's with the other cat, I may not have to worry. Or, it won't help at all and I'll still be at square one. A hard carrier will contain him, but I don't want him to end up bloody every time.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can sew a towel over the mesh. Use dental floss instead of thread. I had to do this with the top of the kennel when my dog had to sleep in one for 9 months to recover from surgery. Contrary to what the surgeon thought , which made me wonder about him, she never grew to like the kennel. The first night she beat her head against the top until she bled. The towel was enough of a buffer to stop that.

If the towel doesn't work then I'd exchange the mesh door for a grate door. The I'd sew a piece of carpet to the towel and make little straps to thread through the grate and snap with heavy snaps. This will effectively make the grate a scratching post.

Two cats will be heavy. Odds are they will pace and shift about making them seem heavier. I'd seriously consider the carrier with the wheels on it.