Carpet Scratching

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So long story short I live in an apartment. I know I will probably end up losing my deposit on the place if Toby doesn't stop scratching at the carpet. It's always in the corner or where the carpet meets the baseboards...I am not sure why he does it.
And it's not a daily thing...just every once in a while I come home from work and notice theres carpet hairs ripped up and then upon closer inspection I can see he was tearing at it.
I've tried to show him and tell him "no" and honestly he looks as if he gets it and then he doesn't do it for a few weeks...and then it's like his brain resets and I see a new spot where hes started ripping it up:bawling::angrywoman: has anyone's cat done this??? they have like 3 cat trees and a million scratchers so that can't be the issue.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
One of my cats likes to scratch carpet too. I gave her different types of floor scratchers.

Try different kinds.. one that's carpeted, one cardboard, so on. horizontal floor ones. Put catnip on the scratchers too

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats likes to scratch carpet too. I gave her different types of floor scratchers.

Try different kinds.. one that's carpeted, one cardboard, so on. horizontal floor ones. Put catnip on the scratchers too

Ahh I never thought of just those floor scratchers. I have one that has a ball track that goes around it and I tried putting it where he was scratching and basically from the evidence i gathered once i got home from work he just flipped it over and continued to scratch the carpet :nono: too smart for his own good that one...But maybe they just need something new

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately, yes, my Ruby scratches at my carpet. And in the same area as your cat - right at the baseboard at the corners of the door openings. It's my own house and in the basement, so I'm not too concerned, but I will have to replace it eventually.

Ruby also has several different scratchers, but she still goes for the carpet. :sigh:

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, but at least you know your cat is not the only one ruining carpets. :(

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
lol, sounds like a trouble maker ;)

a scratcher that's big enough for the cat to stand on and scratch may do the trick.

You can also try putting double sided tape or something over the area to deter him from that spot

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol, sounds like a trouble maker ;)

a scratcher that's big enough for the cat to stand on and scratch may do the trick.

You can also try putting double sided tape or something over the area to deter him from that spot

Now double sided tape sounds like a great plan! I will go get some of that and try that because two corners are still salvageable...I think.. :frustrated:
And he most definitely is a little trouble maker...He's also figured out how to open the cabinets and will steal my q tips too!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, yes, my Ruby scratches at my carpet. And in the same area as your cat - right at the baseboard at the corners of the door openings. It's my own house and in the basement, so I'm not too concerned, but I will have to replace it eventually.

Ruby also has several different scratchers, but she still goes for the carpet. :sigh:

Sorry I don't have any solutions for you, but at least you know your cat is not the only one ruining carpets. :(

YES! its right at the corner where the carpet meets the sliding glass door and then right along the baseboards...and he only does it in my bedroom...:fireblob:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How about putting down plastic carpet protectors along the baseboard? Hardware stores sell it in various lengths and could probably cut a piece to size for you. You want the thick vinyl one, not the thin plastic wrap one that is used to keep paint off the floor while painting. The bottom of the carpet protector is bumpy so you could use it bumpy-side up to deter scratching.

wannahelp

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My younger male does it too. He is ripping our hallway runner to shreds. I have different types of scratchers all over the house and I tell him ‘no’ but he doesn’t seem to get it.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Mocha, my three-year-old rescue, prefers to scratch carpets and rugs, too. I’ve tried every type of vertical and horizontal scratcher with every kind of material. She’s more likely to use the horizontal sisal posts, but she still likes certain rugs. Try Feliway spray. Mist the place(s) you don’t want him to scratch. Just be sure not to spray near his scratching posts or when he’s around! You’ll have to do it every day for awhile and probably intermittently after that when he relapses. Wherever I spray, Mocha won’t scratch for a few days. When she starts again, I spray that area for three or four days in a row and then we’re good for a few days.

Feliway has come out with a new product called Feliscratch which is supposed to attract cats to their scratching posts. Unfortunately, it didn’t work with Mocha at all. But I think it works partly with catnip and she’s immune to catnip. The spray, though, does keep her from scratching anything I use it on.

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats like different textures sometimes to scratch on. You might try getting a small carpet mat from somewhere like Walmart or Lowes. They should have different piles, so you can match your carpet type. Put it near where he scratches with a regular scratcher and some toys. It can become a little area for him that's "his."

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cats like different textures sometimes to scratch on. You might try getting a small carpet mat from somewhere like Walmart or Lowes. They should have different piles, so you can match your carpet type. Put it near where he scratches with a regular scratcher and some toys. It can become a little area for him that's "his."

Oh I have bought them 2 of their own carpets and also I don't get mad if they scratch the rug in the dining room either :lol2: I bought them the carpets that have that texture that they like from ross and I don't mind when they scratch those but Toby still likes to do what he's not supposed to:rolleyes3: