Carpet scratching advice

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats and for the most part scratching isn’t an issue. But the little one will NOT stop scratching one of my carpets. They have multiple vertical and horizontal scratchers both upstairs and downstairs so that there’s always one of each type available if the other cat is using one. I’ve tried covering the carpet with a blanket and putting one of his horizontal scratchers on top of it (he just crawled under the blanket), spraying it with calming sprays or lemon water (calming sprays had the opposite effect, wasn’t bothered by the citrus scent), and clicker training him to use the scratcher instead of the carpet (inconsistent since I go to school and work, and clicker training is hard when he completely ignores the scratcher). Also tried catnip on the scratcher but then he rolls around in it and goes to scratch the carpet anyway!!

I’m kind of out of ideas. The carpet isn’t regular carpet material, it’s sort of long strips of fabric that have been woven. He doesn’t scratch the other carpets, or any of the other furniture (except an old chair that was ruined by another cat that I kind of gave up on). The scratcher that’s on the carpet is cardboard, and he uses the other cardboard scratcher upstairs but totally ignores this one. Any ideas for how to save this carpet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, one more thing. Since the carpets woven the back side is identical to the front, so if I ever get him to stop I can just flip it over so you wont be able to see where he ruined it. Otherwise (and other than the fact that it’s my parent’s carpet) I’d honestly just get a new one that was carpet material, since I know he doesn’t scratch those.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Are they carpet tiles or something similar? If so, go buy a few that are close in texture and place them over an area of the existing carpet strips. If he would use them like this, you could start 'changing his pattern' by placing the strips in a large sized cardboard box lid - to get him used to the idea of a box-like scratching apparatus. It might just be enough to get him to use just the 'quasi-style' scratching box instead of the floor? You might also consider buying some of the carpet strips and affixing them to both horizontal and vertical scratching posts.

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Are they carpet tiles or something similar? If so, go buy a few that are close in texture and place them over an area of the existing carpet strips. If he would use them like this, you could start 'changing his pattern' by placing the strips in a large sized cardboard box lid - to get him used to the idea of a box-like scratching apparatus. It might just be enough to get him to use just the 'quasi-style' scratching box instead of the floor? You might also consider buying some of the carpet strips and affixing them to both horizontal and vertical scratching posts.
No, I guess I didn’t explain it well. I’ll attach a picture of the carpet. This is a corner he doesn’t scratch much, but at the edge you can see a piece he started to pull up. His scratching is ripping the fabric, so in other areas there’s a bunch of little pieces sticking up like the one at the edge.
16748951-387F-4BFD-B554-ACF72B4D4986.jpeg

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Do you have any sisal scratchers? It might be closer to the feel of the carpet.
I have a sisal mat scratcher, and vertical sisal scratchers. Like the cardboard ones, he’ll use it if it’s in a different room... but when it’s between the carpet and anything else he’ll always pick the carpet. I attached a picture of it in a different reply

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have seen rugs made like that - haven't you? Maybe buy those and place over areas of the current carpet, as well as place some in cardboard box lids? Some examples:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, you mean a scatter rug, not carpet. Can you replace that one rug with one that is not woven fabric?

emilyeli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have seen rugs made like that - haven't you? Maybe buy those and place over areas of the current carpet, as well as place some in cardboard box lids? Some examples:

Wow, never found these, thanks so much!! I’ll try covering up the rug and using one of these