Carpet and pets how to properly clean the carpet?

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay most of the trailer i'm living in has carpet except one bathroom and the kitchen I have a hoover carpet shampooer every time I shampoo the carpet dark spots start to appear after awhile after I clean it and its in the spots where the cats and dogs puked and had some accidents on how do I stop the dark spots? what cleaner do I use? as i'm shampooing it goes away but like 1-2 hrs after the carpet is all dry they re appear  BIGGER which is irritating.

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does your shampooer have a rinse cycle? Sometimes left in soaps can cause dark spots to leach to the surface or collect dirt.

I mix a little oxy-clean and vinegar in when I am shampooing and I pretreat with Bissell Platinum Pro Pet . During the week if I cannot shampoo I spray with a mixture of gain laundry detergent and then sprinkle baking soda on top. Let sit over night and shampoo out the next day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but next time I shampoo I can just spray the soap on the spot and then rinse it and see if it removes it

and will plain vinegar stop the spots? and will it stop the animals from going on the floor?

alisa brown

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Vinegar is a great cleaning agent, it hasn't stopped my pets from going on that spot, I had to get puppy pads to put over it. Sadly even using an enzyme cleaner has not stopped my one problem child from peeing on the same spot. We will have to eventually remove the carpet and padding and clean the subfloor I think to get him to stop. The puppy pads at least save me from having to shampoo it every day.

But the vinegar and baking soda mix is a great stain remover, you will have to experiment to see how long to leave it on, I always leave mine overnight, Vacuum it out and then shampoo.

I don't recommend vacuuming baking soda too often as it can mess up your vacuum I have a wet dry/vac that I use. My last vacuum got coated with baking soda inside after a few years and I had to take it apart to clean it. ( It eventually clogs filters).

Oh I mix my vinegar Half water have vinegar in a sprayer.

I sprinkle baking soda over the spot then spray with the mixture- it foams up and I let it sit over night to dry then vacuum up and shampoo.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This is what my carpet kinda looks like google image
Oh, okay. That's not a Berber. The reason I asked is because both my SO and parents had Berber carpets and the carpet cleaner left dark spots (they tried different cleaners). I started a thread on homemade cleaners here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262847/by-request-homemade-natural-safe-household-cleaning-solutions. There is a recipe for carpet cleaner, but it's not meant for urine. Nothing will bring up urine except a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, Urine-Off, etc. Always do a test spot in an inconspicuous area, like underneath or behind a piece of furniture.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mewlittle

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, okay. That's not a Berber. The reason I asked is because both my SO and parents had Berber carpets and the carpet cleaner left dark spots (they tried different cleaners). I started a thread on homemade cleaners here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/262847/by-request-homemade-natural-safe-household-cleaning-solutions. There is a recipe for carpet cleaner, but it's not meant for urine. Nothing will bring up urine except a good enzymatic cleaner like Nature's Miracle, Urine-Off, etc. Always do a test spot in an inconspicuous area, like underneath or behind a piece of furniture.
Next time I go shopping i'm gonna see if ruralking has it if not that means I got to go to petco.