Carlyle Just Tuna canned food - from the Dollar Tree

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am located in Canada and in my city the Dollar Tree near me sells this Carlyle Just Tuna canned cat food that has 2 basic ingredients (tuna, water) and 2 added ingredients (taurine, vitamin E). Seems like a pretty good deal at $1.50 CDN for a 170 gr. (6 oz.) can. I like that it has just tuna but also the added taurine which is good for cats. I guess Vitamin E helps too. If Mojo likes it I will grab a few more cans and add it to his culinary rotation. I know he enjoys any type of fish related food so I think he'll probably eat it. In fact as I type this he just woke up from naptime and wants his dinner so we're going to try it soon.

Carlyle Just Tuna Canned Cat Food | Canadian Pet Connection

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be concerned about feeding a cat a diet heavy on tuna because of potential mercury poisoning and because it doesn’t provide a cat enough of a balanced diet.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would limit that food to just treats. As a rule, any food that does not contain a full list of vitamins and minerals is not a complete balanced diet. It's only a treat / complement type food. One or two vitamns or minerals, if any, is not enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would be concerned about feeding a cat a diet heavy on tuna because of potential mercury poisoning and because it doesn’t provide a cat enough of a balanced diet.
I agree and this would not be his only diet. He also likes chicken and salmon. It would be a supplement or part of a variety of foods he gets. This food also is supposed to have less mercury than regular tuna.

That being said he just gobbled it up and cleaned off his plate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mr. Mojo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would limit that food to just treats. As a rule, any food that does not contain a full list of vitamins and minerals is not a complete balanced diet. It's only a treat / complement type food. One or two vitamns or minerals, if any, is not enough.
He usually gets Tiki Cat or Wellness canned food on a regular basis but yes this is a nice little snack for him in between the nutritionally balanced foods. I am glad he is not really a fussy boy.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Vitamin E is added to help stave off what is sometimes called "Yellow Fat Disease," which is a risk from diets with high levels of polyunsaturated fats (such as a high fish diet).

I concur with the advice of others to use such items only as a supplementary item in a varied diet, but not as a mainstay.

Bill