Caring For Two 5 Week Old Not So Healthy Kittens

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The worms don't always come out. Sometimes they die in the gut and get digested so you don't see them. They'll need to be de-wormed every 3 weeks for 4 doses, ideally. The eggs of the worms hatch after 3 weeks and you want to make sure to get all those nasty critters.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes the vet said we’ll repeat in a months time.
I have a question in terms of feedings.
Last week they were a little problematic and i was feeding them every three hours. Now they are fine and also with playing more they are also sleeping for more hours in a row, like profound sleep. During the night must I wake them up when it’s been 5 hours since they’ve last eaten or should I wait for them to tell me they are hungry?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't wake them up in the middle of the night for a feeding at this point. If they're sleeping when you need to feed them, sure, wake them up. They might even wake up when they hear you preparing their food.

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How are they doing? Are they gaining weight?
Hello!
Today I weigh them.
In the beginning of this thread khaleesy was weighing 270 grams and arya was weighing 390. Today khaleesy is at 450 and arya is at 600 so I think i can say they are thriving.
Last Sunday khaleesy had to receive an enema (we did it at home) but after that she has been pooping normally. They are so playful and eating very well.
Thank you so much for all your help!

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
441A9C30-BBBF-4C37-BF22-E86BEC16630E.jpeg
Hello everyone!
I’m back for a little update and some information seeking.
My two little rescued are thankfully thriving. They are weighing 1,3 and 1,5 kg each at approximately 3 months old.
They are eating dry kibble as advices by the vet, and have no trouble drinking water, they are putting o weight, are super active and jumping around.
It turns out the patches of missing hair they had was tinea, they were medicated for 6 weeks and now their coat is absolutely perfect ☺
But two days ago I encountered a problem.
My little white one is pooping daily like clockwork at 11:30 am. I wish I was that regular
But I inspected her poop for two days now and after she poops a little blood comes on top of the poop. It isn’t hard poop. It’s not super soft either. It’s an in between shape, it isn’t dark, and it isn’t yellow more like a caramel color. She only goes once which makes me think it’s not diarrhea, and she is absolutely fine otherwise. The poop doesn’t smell out of the ordinary either.
Any ideas?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Blood or mucus on the poop indicates irritation in the colon. A round of metronidazole should cure this.

The weights are very good.

Do they eat wet cat food as well?

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Blood or mucus on the poop indicates irritation in the colon. A round of metronidazole should cure this.

The weights are very good.

Do they eat wet cat food as well?
Is metronidazole an antibiotic?
I spoke to the vet on the phone today as she was suppose to come to my house to vaccinate them tomorrow, she said it might be worms so I am giving her another round of dewormer today. They were last dewormed about a month ago. I find it strange since they are indoor cats, and have already been dewormed twice, how come they still catch these nasty things? then I remembered she chases flies a lot and here in Angola we have thousands of stray animals on the streets so it might be some worm passed from a fly she might have eaten :(

I give them wet food once every week, the vet advised against giving them a lot just because most of the times when animal food gets imported here it isn't refrigerated properly and can pose a bigger risk of intoxication.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and an anti-parasitic. It could be parasites. Perhaps you could give both a de-wormer and a week of metronidazole. Metronidazole is very effective.

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
T
Metronidazole is an antibiotic and an anti-parasitic. It could be parasites. Perhaps you could give both a de-wormer and a week of metronidazole. Metronidazole is very effective.
Thank you so much for your help, I'll give an update when I can :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
when animal food gets imported here it isn't refrigerated properly and can pose a bigger risk of intoxication.
Canned food is not be able to be contaminated if the can is still properly sealed. Even if it's past the "best-by" date it should still be fine. I would be more suspicious of imported dry food or anything else not in a can though.

Sounds like they're doing great! Hope yi u can get her little tummy settled. I have noticed that sometimes kittens get a bit of colitis for no real reason, and it goes away just as quickly, hopefully that's all it is.

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned food is not be able to be contaminated if the can is still properly sealed. Even if it's past the "best-by" date it should still be fine. I would be more suspicious of imported dry food or anything else not in a can though.

Sounds like they're doing great! Hope yi u can get her little tummy settled. I have noticed that sometimes kittens get a bit of colitis for no real reason, and it goes away just as quickly, hopefully that's all it is.
Unfortunately we don't get canned wet food here, only the sachets. I don't know if its the same case.
Yeah I was hoping her tummy would kind of sort itself out but its been three days so I thought it was time to do something. Its not even that much blood either. Just a few drops after she poops. Hopefully the dewormer will do the trick :)

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The aseptic sachets should be the same, as long as they aren't punctured. MREs are kept in that kind of packaging and they last for years, with no refrigeration. So they should be fine too.

Andrea Oliveira

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone.
Quick update on my girls.
Today they had their morning poop with no blood on it (internal party happening inside me ahah)
I gave them the dewormer monday night. On tuesday there was still a little blood on the stool, but today it seems to be gone. But the poop smelled a little bit worse than it usually does. Can I assume it is from the dewormer that is working an expelling those nasty parasites?
I didn't see any parasites in their stool but my vet once told me that modern parasites tend to break them apart in the bowel to avoid them getting stuck on the way out.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A de-wormer kills worms. Parasites are different than worms. Different medications are used to treat worms and parasites.

If the odor continues, you may want to treat for parasites.