Caring for spayed cats in difficult circumstances

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little background:

My in-laws had an overbreeding issue. After a lot of hard work, we managed to get most of them adopted out, with 10 cats left with us currently. Yes, it's a lot of hard work and cleaning, but they're mostly lazy loveable fur balls who get along fine with each other. I have had all the males neutered, so no more kittens, thank heavens.

But, now it's time for the 6 ladies to get fixed (in batches of 2) because I don't want to lose them if we get a complaint about their caterwauling. The cats rule the living room, but aren't allowed in the bedrooms. My husband and myself don't even have a proper bedroom - just a part of the hall cordoned off by sliding doors. Which is to say, we have absolutely no where to put the cats apart from their crates when they're recovering from their surgeries. Obviously, my kitties love jumping onto chairs or other places to sleep, and I can't very well put them in their crates for 2 weeks straight.

I'm not too worried about other cats licking their spay site, because I'll be putting them into recovery onesies for at least 2 weeks after their surgeries. I just don't know how to keep them calm and stop them jumping on furniture. I don't have a job, so I'll be available to care for them during the day.

Anything at all would be helpful!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have personally never had a two week window with a female when it comes down to practical experience. Given that I have fixed wild female ferals whose only option was to be released after one night at the vet's, spent in the trap, I have watched them exit the trap and jump a wall, usually because at that point they hate the site of me, and streak across the lawn. Not a single one has ever not returned for food the next day, healed properly, or not gone on to live a decent life. My own female cats who are indoor only have come home and exited the crate with a jump before I could stop them.

If you are going to use onesies, that eliminates the problem of them licking their incisions. If you can use Feliway (which has not worked for me but others swear by it), relaxing cat music on YouTube or Prime or Spotify, and arrange things as much as possible so that they don't feel the need to jump you should be fine. If there is a cat tree or high piece of furniture in the living it could be relocated possibly for a few days? Otherwise, I don't think that jumping on a sofa is going to do any damage.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

inediblepeaches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so, so much for telling me about your experience!

Cat music seems to work - it's the only way I managed to calm their caterwauling, so hopefully it will work after their spay too. Feliway would mean waiting a couple of weeks for me, so it's not a viable option for the first two at least, but I'll definitely consider it for the next two batches.

They only jump onto foot stools or dining room chairs, as the sofa is normally hogged by our boys. Occasionally they jump on the washing machine though, guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for that and put those anti cat spike mats we use for the kitchen counters.

Thanks so much!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I would try to discourage the washing machine once they are first home, but foot stool is not going to do any damage.

Feliway does not work for all cats, so don't make a big investment if you decide to try it until you know that they like it.