Caring for pets a privilege?

angelamariebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had some thoughts I needed to write down somewhere and this seemed an appropriate place to share. I hope this doesn't spark any kind of argument- my intentions are to inspire thoughtful responses. This is long, and not much a question but a collection of thoughts some might like to weigh in on.

I'll start with a personal anecdote, a trip to the vet with a sick cat: I care for six cats in my home and a daughter and we had an incident where all of my cats had fallen ill with varying symptoms and degrees of severity. Most were coming along fine but one clearly needed medical attention. What followed upon making an appointment with a nearby vet shook and disturbed me, as a cat lover and animal rights enthusiast.

I chose this vet based on availability, location and online reviews. She saw me within 24 hours. I was bothered by her cold, abrupt and accusing manner while handling my pet and speaking with me. My cat needed fluids to reduce a moderate (neither mild nor extremely severe) fever and antibiotics. She offered further testing and gave me two bills- one listing the total amount for the visit, fluids and antibiotics totaling around $60 and another listing the amount for the previous, plus bloodwork, x-rays, the full work up, totaling over $500. I left feeling awful, both the vet and the assistant had basically berated me for refusing further testing, as if I didn't have my pet's best interest at heart. I immediately called a friend, who runs a cat rescue out of state, in tears. I told her I had been made to feel I had no business caring for animals if I couldn't afford medical treatment and that I personally felt like some kind of deluded hoarder you read about in the news- only thinking I'm doing my best but putting all of my cats at risk. She snapped me back into reality by telling me I had shown I was a competent and caring pet owner by taking my cat in when she was sick and that she herself would have refused the extra tests. That everyone has to make decisions based on cost and that her rescue would fall apart if she spent $500 for each cat, every time it required medical assistance.

I realize that the treatment I received from this particular vet, one I will never return to, is an isolated incident. Many people have wonderful, helpful veterinarians for their pets whom they can trust. And everyone has a different standard of care and health- for themselves, their children and their pets.

When it comes to my own child, I have no problem just letting her be sick and allow her immune system to fight most illnesses that she may come into contact with. I don't feel the need to seek medical care for every cold or stomach ache. My knowledge though of feline health is much smaller, I don't understand quite as well how their immune systems function. When it comes to monitoring health I closely watch for changes in mood/behavior, eating and litter box habits and symptoms like lethargy or fever. But as I do with my child, I do not rush to make an appointment for every symptom. Many things, such as a watery eye, etc, clear up on their own within a couple days with no sign the animal is significantly distressed.

I wonder if my ability to do this is because I do have some (and I may even be downplaying my own abilities due to my own self-doubt) knowledge of cat health and a good deal of experience. Some don't. I also have at my disposal friends working in veterinary offices or rescues that I can text or call to ask questions if I have any. Some don't. I also have the innate drive to seek out information, to learn as much as I can about a particular subject once it's caught my attention. Some people don't have that. Because of these things, I feel incredibly privileged over others who may not possess some of these resources or abilities but still love and want to care for animals.

I used to be more active in other cat related sites and forums (mostly on Facebook before I deactivated) and some have incredibly high standards in caring for their own pets and their expectations for other pet owners. I think it's wonderful when people treat their pets as royalty- I hold no judgement toward other animal lovers who would do things differently than I would (unless of course, they are personally insulting me). I think animals of all species deserve much more kindness than what has been given to them at the hands of humans. And when I think of all the animals and pets misplaced, homeless and sitting in cages waiting for an adoption that may never happen, I'm sad that more people are not able to provide a standard of care that was decided by someone else, that vet care can be so expensive and that resources and information can feel scarce at times.

I'm not offering solutions to these things, nor am I looking for insight or approval of how I care for my animals. My head is just running a mile a minute right now and I thought someone else might like to talk about it.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading. :)

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The vet you had was being insensitive.  The vet that I have talks to me and "we" decide what course to take.  And unless it's a life or death situation, we start out with a simple solution first.  It's kind of like my husband's truck.  He swore up and down the alternator was going out.  Spendy!!  I said let's try a new battery first.  It took care of the problem.  Cheaper.  And this is such a good site to come to if you're having doubts or questions.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I completely agree with everything you have done and said. I have had a feral for 7 years now, plus my inside cats, and I always feel terrible when he gets sick or gets an abscess because I can't even pick him up, much less get him into a carrier. Plus I'm afraid he would have a heart attack on the way, and I know he wouldn't stand for an exam. I can't imagine what it would cost me to take him in. I medicate him myself, I have a wonderful vet who sells me over the counter antibiotics and other medicines cheaply. Your vet experience sounds terrible to me, I agree that they were very insensitive to your feelings. I think they made you feel guilty and question your abilities, because you didn't go for the additional tests and care, and now you need reassurance that you ARE doing a good job, and you are.  They can suggest different tests, but they shouldn't say anything if you can't or won't accept doing them. Animals need love and shelter more then anything else, and you are providing the most important things necessary right now to your 6 babies. I guess you learned not to go there anymore, and if I were you I would definitely add my on online review! I switched vets a few years ago, because like you I felt they were too 'clinical' and were without warmth and caring. This new vet has cried when I have taken in cats that weren't even mine and they were too injured to be saved, and she didn't charge me to euthanize them. I even brought in a badly injured baby rabbit that I just couldn't kill myself and she took him from me without charge. So see, there are good vets, but also bad ones too. I think you sound very sensible about human and cat care and are doing a fine job.  ( whether you want to hear it or not!)  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angelamariebee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think about this often when someone is facing the possibility of putting down their pet. An animal they love so much. I haven't been through this yet. But some will argue that EVERY TEST AND POSSIBLE TREATMENT no matter how invasive or costly, should be exercised before even considering euthanasia. I would argue that if this animal has been loved and cared for to the best of the owners abilities, it's not a terrible option, and who else would be willing to step up and front the cost of the ailing animals care? I know no one has offered to feed and care for my own. I see caring for animals, especially ones so overpopulated like cats, as a selfless act and if you are providing love and the most basic of care you're doing a wonderful thing. It's all very personal on forums like this though because we want the very best for our loved ones.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My wife and I love our two cats dearly. We make sure they get good food, interactive playtime and nice places for naps. Providing for their veterinary healthcare is expensive and we simply do the best we can (which probably amounts to more than many would be willing to spend on cats.)

Veterinarian care is expensive and  for each owner there is a dollar amount that is unreasonable and/or not affordable. That dollar amount does not reflect how much anyone loves their animal. Saying "no" to a needed procedure is sometimes a harsh and painful reality. Any vet should know this and be sensitive to the owners economic decision as well as the pain associated with the decision. A good vet will offer a variety of solutions, not just the best and most costly.

Making an owner feel bad about what they are willing/able to spend is not good for the owner, the pet or the vet's practice. Frankly, the vet would have to be pretty stupid to do such a thing.

Since the point of this thread is to open some discussion, here is our story and what my wife and I are doing...

This is Bug:

That hind foot surgery (he had bone cancer) was not cheap. The vet offered lots of more affordable alternatives from pain meds to amputation. The vet felt that given the cats age and that he had diabetes - it might not be worth doing. We knew Bugs blood sugar was well controlled and that he was otherwise very healthy. My wife and I talked it over and decided to go ahead with it. Bug lived another 5 years after the procedure and we did not regret the decision at all, but it was a very difficult decision. 

After the events with Bug, we decided to limit ourselves to two cats, that way we could afford to spend a bit more should one of them need some expensive healthcare. I am acutely aware that this decision is based on our comfort level, and what is best for us. We have trouble saying "no." There are many cats needing homes and we would like to have more cats, but we don't feel we can afford it. If we were able to limit what we spend on expensive care, without feeling sick about it, a few more cats would have forever homes. So if someone has ten cats, and can't afford expensive care for all of them, that is their decision and I am sure the cats are having better lives than they would living outside or in a shelter. Their is no perfect answer.

Eric