Caring for injured feral

anothercatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have been feeding and caring for a feral for 8 years. She's about 9 years old now. Until last Saturday she lived outside in or under a shed. Hated to be shut in anywhere! But, after the first year of patience, she trusts me enough to get into my lap. Loves to be petted. Again, in the past, as long as she had an escape route and I did nothing to startled her.

When  she arrived Saturday evening, she followed me into my mudroom and got into my lap. I discovered she had two large and nasty looking puncture wounds on her back.  Long story short, she is now (Monday) in my basement. Due to the weather the earliest I can get her to the vet is Wednesday. She has not had a rabies shot since 9/2011. Under state law she will have to be quarantined for 6 months.

Any suggestions on how to care for her short-term an long-term (6 months)? 

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for caring for her and taking such good care of her.  She is lucky to have you.  First off you can try to gently wash the wound with soap and warm water.  You can just gently blot it with a cotton ball.  If it is in a location she can't reach to lick, you can apply some antibiotic ointment.  You also can call the vet back and ask what you should be doing at home for her.  You are fortunate you are able to get her to the vet.  My feral, Shadow was attacked last winter and I was unable to get him to a vet.  He too had not had a rabies shot in a few years.  I am able to pet him too and he also crawls in my lap, but I cannot pick him up.  I used some homeopathic remedies on him and was able to talk with my vet about what I should look out for. 

I hope she will do well until Wednesday, but it might be worth a call to the vet to see what they recommend.

Keep us posted.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How hard will it be on her to bring her to a vet? Is the wound 'clean', or does it look infected? I've treated a lot of ferals and unless they were bad enough to be crippled, I did not take them to a vet because of the trauma and stress it would cause them. I called the vet and asked for a antibiotic cream which they always sold me, and they gave me advise on how to proceed with the cat's care. There is an antibiotic injection now that is given once and lasts for ten days, it's well worth it not to have to give capsules twice a day.  Since she had a rabies shot in 2011, would she really be quarantined? Many shots have effects that last for two years. Of course always contact your vet to see how you should proceed. To give you hope, I've had injured feral cats that could not be caught, that looked hopeless, and somehow they DO survive. Good luck, I'll pray for her recovery.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DiandBob is right - her last shot may not have expired yet (fingers crossed!)

Will you be able to keep her in your basement?  Maybe a large dog crate set up down there will work.  I have two crates - one is 48", the other 36".  I link them together and put the potty in the smaller crate and bed and food in the larger crate.  It is perfect for short term recuperating.

I would make sure she sees the vet - just a precaution.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Luck in unluck here is, her being wounded and needs help - and she knows it, PLUS the bad weather, makes it easier for you to keep her inside.  Who knows, with a little luck she may end now as an inside kitty.

When you help them when they are sick or wounded, the "easy fostering window" tends often to open again.

a little tip which may be useful:   Basic cleaning is easiest by pouring saline water.

3 grammes kitchen salt in 1 litre water, sterilise by boiling up, let it be again body temp, and pour profusely.  You dont need to spare otn that saline water!

It washes off, is somewhat antibacterial too.  Doesnt hurt if it comes inside - its almost as the natural body fluids.

Works better than some of fancy preparates.

They use it at hospitals too.

Good luck!

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cared for many feral/stray cats with bite wounds. The best advice is to make sure the wound stays and is open to drain during healing, it will get crusted over just make sure you remove anything that blocks the openings. This may require pulling the scab which the cat will not like. Even if you clean the outside of the wound if it is not open to drain it will be a problem and fill with pus, because cat's skin is very thick. I have had a vet after he drained a wound to try to put peroxide in the would to flush it out. If it's a major nasty wound if course a vet visit is in order.

hexiesfriend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have cared for many feral/stray cats with bite wounds. The best advice is to make sure the wound stays and is open to drain during healing, it will get crusted over just make sure you remove anything that blocks the openings. This may require pulling the scab which the cat will not like. Even if you clean the outside of the wound if it is not open to drain it will be a problem because cat's skin is very thick. I have had a vet after he drained a wound to try to put peroxide in the would to flush it out. If it's a major nasty wound if course a vet visit is in order.