Caring For Declawed Cats

Elllllle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted two brothers last month and it turns out they're declawed. Obviously it isn't something I would have done to them and I've never had declawed kitties before. But since I can't undo what their previous owner did, I'd at least like to minimize the negative effects as much as possible. I've managed to find litters that they both like, so that isn't an issue. Is there anything else I can do for them to make them comfortable in the long run? They're both fully healed (as much as they can be) as it was probably done years ago.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my rescues are declawed, and thankfully we have never had an issue. We don't do anything different. If you found a litter they like to use, I think you're good to go. Mine still like to "scratch" at scratching posts to mark their scent. They still play and tussle and have all the abilities as my non declawed cats. Actually, my oldest declawed cat is the best hunter in the house! He's never had an issue catching mice or little moles that managed to find their way into my house.

The only thing I would stress is that they be INDOOR ONLY cats. Do not let them wander outside. As well adjusted as my cats are without their claws they still would not stand a chance against a predator or if faced with a conflict, without their primary from of defense.

OH wait!, I just thought of one thing. One of my cats did have some sensitivity early on. It happened when he would jump down off of a high surface. I noticed he would lick his paws if he landed hard on his front paws. All we did was give him "layered" jumping points so he would not have to jump down a long way. Cat trees with staggered shelves, adding an ottoman or chair next to something high, you could even put some sort of plush mat at the base of things they like to jump from, just to help minimize the shock if you have hard floors.
He's old now (18) so I forgot about that, when he was young and still wanting to hang out as close to the ceiling as he could get.

Hope this helps.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi E Elllllle :hithere:Welcome to TCS :welcomesign:

I think the biggest thing with declawed cats is the greater risk of paw pain. They'll likely be more prone to arthritis in their paws, but also in other places. Cats are meant to walk on their tiptoes, not the sole of the foot, so declawing means a lifetime of carrying themselves in an unnatural way. This is very likely to cause early onset arthritis, and can have other knock-on effects throughout the musculoskeletal system. There is the possibility of phantom limb pain, too, as declawing is actually an amputation of the top bones of each toe. So, really get to know their quirks and habits, so it's easier to pick up when they're a bit 'off'. Cats are masters at hiding pain, so signs (especially early signs) can be subtle.

Be aware that it's much more common to have litterbox avoidance issues in declawed cats, as the litter can start to cause pain or irritation to the paws. Use the softest litter you can if this happens. Its a good idea to use a really soft litter (eg sWheat Scoop or similar) for any declawed kitty, but as you've found litters they're currently happy with, I wouldn't rush to change things right now. If their paws ever get so sore that litter is not an option for a while (sometimes the learned litterbox=pain connection can take a while to retrain, even once the pain is being treated/managed), puppy pee pads are a great litter alternative. They're not an ideal long term solution, but they can bridge the gap between litterbox avoidance and retraining fully back to the box.

Because they don't have claws, they can't climb in the way other cats can. Its a good idea to look for more accessible cat trees (usually ones that are good for kittens or senior kitties) with ramps, ladders, or easy jumps between each level. They will still love and need their cat trees and scratchers as much as any fully clawed cat does - it's just that some models are better suited to declawed kitties.

Lastly, because they've lost their claws, they've lost their first line of defence. Clawed cats will hit you a few times if they're needing you to back off, and only go in for the bite if you ignore their hits. Declawed cats are more likely to bite, as it's the only means of defence they have left. I'm NOT saying declawed cats are more aggressive in any way, but it's more important to read their subtle signals and body language, so you can back off well before tension escalates to more physical warnings. This is important with all cats, but cat bites are way more likely to cause an infection, so reading a declawed cat's limits and boundaries is vital.

These articles explain why not to declaw, but they have some good info on long term care of a declawed cat, too:-
Declawing - More Than Just A Manicure
Declawing - Post-surgery Care And Complications

And here are a couple of threads about caring for declawed kitties:-
Adopting Declawed Ragdoll
Furniture For A Four Paw Declawed Cat

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a litter box issue with declawed cats, but one of them had a serious aversion to you checking out her feet, and would bite often in self defense.
Amalie is my current declawed cat. She's lived with me for about six years. She's perfectly comfortable with me touching her toe beans to check out how her scar tissue is doing or if there is any discomfort from nerve damage or traces of bone fragment left behind. She bites very little. She actually could climb a tree when I met her as a stray. She's about 12 now and her back is often achy from years of walking improperly after they removed her tippy toes in the declaw.
One of my other declaws had a big arthritis problem, and he loved people but hated being in a multicat house.

And you have to get them a scratching post. They still want to scratch.
Amalie also loves the half size cat tree, but I think the bitey girl would play on the 6' one.

ETA
Oh snap. In hindsight, I should tell you the girl that bit a bunch and didn't want her feet touched had ALL FOUR of her paws done by my stupid brother in law instead of just the front two.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading this article just to see if there were any tips that could help long-term,
Declawing - Post-surgery Care And Complications

and saw one thing in there you could keep an eye out for:
excerpt-
"... Cats have a runway-model, slinky walk that’s to be admired. After surgery, most cats will rock their body weight back onto the pads (or palms) of their feet to avoid the pain of pressure on the toes. Some will resume their regular slinky stride after healing; for some this becomes a new way of walking, which then causes problems with other joints in the leg. Claws also aid with balance, so Kitty may not be as “sure-footed” as before. ..."

and lalagimp lalagimp brought up, too, that years of walking oddly could cause some discomfort issues. The above article also brought up potential arthritis, too.
Arthritis And Joint Pain In Cats

My recommendation is also to not let your cats gets overweight... that can really put a strain on their posture and weight distribution, and cause a lot of discomfort.

E Elllllle , what are your cats' names?