Caring For Abandoned Premature Kitten

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How awesome are you for taking her in :cloud9::cloud9::cloud9::cloud9: i will be praying her checkup goes well and that she will continue to grow and progress:heartshape::heartshape: She's adorable are you going to keep her??

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your kitten may need a richer formula. If you are using plain goat milk, you could consider adding egg yolk(rinse any raw white off as the albumin in raw egg white is hard on any kitty's kidneys, especially an neonate), plain gelatin, mayonnaise, white corn syrup and plain whole milk (not reduced fat yogurt). Or you can try a blend of goat milk and kmr.
Please consult the vet and get their recommendation- and be sure to ask about tube feeding, in case You need the rest and she needs the nourishment. Thank you for keeping us updated - we are rooting and praying for you!:vibes::vibes::vibes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes egg yolk is good and useful extra nutrient. Much fats and proteins.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello again everyone! Another update today; she is 2 and a half weeks old now.
On Monday, we got her the dewormer. There were quick results, such as a LOT of diarrhea for several hours. We talked to our vet and he had us wait it out. The next day, she started eating like crazy! Now we have her sleeping 3-4 hours and eating 8-12ml per feeding. This change in so unbelievable but very welcomed.
On Monday, she weighed 3.5oz (99 grams)-- today, a few days later, she is 5.2oz (150 grams). We are very thankful for all of the help and her speedy growth!
One addition to her growth is the ability to pee whenever she likes. Should we be able to litter train / wean her at 3 weeks, or would 4 be better?
Again, we have been very thankful for everyone's insight!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Most kittens are still being cleaned up by mom until they are about 5 weeks. I would give her more time.

It’s great that she is growing so well now! :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess: Such a good update!! Keep up the good work! I personally just let them decide when they want to litter train. I keep their shallow pan on top of a puppy pad or a disposable incontinence pad - they can be like kids and not realize in time that they have to use the box. And since she is a preemie, her sphincter muscles have some maturing to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gemmakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
1 Month old update!!
Little Gemma is surviving well, and VERY demanding! She is able to both poop and pee on her own so we are making her a shallow litter box soon. She isn't quite ready for wet food yet but we will be trying that again soon. Here is a photo for all those watching! Feel free to drop any other advice you may have :)

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:woo::banana1::bunnydance::clap::clap2::cheerleader:
Congratulations!!! Keep on truckin' Gemma and thank God for answered prayers. And thank you for mustering on, "swimming upstream against a swift current". I am so thrilled to see how well Gemma looks! She still looks very young but that is how it is with preemies. My preemie Polly never really grew and at 2 years old looked like a tiny kitten (like the kitty in the movie "Keanu"). You have a real treasure in Gemma :happycat:

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:thud: I have no words...That is the cutest picture I have ever seen! :clap::clap::rock: Thanks for being such an awesome person! I hope you keep her :)

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Either you are incredibly adept at photoshop or you have the most mellow, patient kitten in the world - which is it? :)
Either way, congratulations, she's adorable!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may not be ready for soft foods for another couple of weeks. She’s young yet.

She’s adorable! :)