Carbs vs. Calories

krysta

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that lower calorie foods tend to be higher carb, and low-carb foods tend to be very nutrient dense and therefore higher calorie.  Which do you think is more important, in terms of weight management, the carbs or the overall calories?

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When you talk about weight management, it comes down ultimately to calories in versus calories out. However, the quality of calories count, especially for cats who are obligate carnivores and need their nutrition from animal sources. So what I would do is feed a high animal protein/low carb wet food and control the calorie intake. Most adult indoor neutered cats need about 20 calories per pound per day. So start feeding at the current weight and then GRADUALLY reduce the calories each week until optimal weight is achieved.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Carbs make cats fat. Weruva, for example, is very low calorie, but many of the formulas are very high in carbohydrates. Before I really understood about carbohydrate content in cat food I tried to use Weruva to help control Jennie's weight (long before I turned to raw). My thinking was, since this food is so low in calories I can feed her more, while still keeping her calories reduced, so she won't feel so deprived. Well, carbs are sugar and sugar makes you hungry. Poor Jennie her food anxiety was twice as bad, even though she was eating a full two ounces MORE of the Weruva than she would have other foods, and she was still eating fewer calories, she was starved all the time, absolutely CRAZED over food, and she did not lose weight.

Carbs are bad for cats. That is the bottom line, in my opinion.

Last edited: