Car Colors

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've been noticing lately that approximately 99% of the cars these days are either white, black, or a shade of grey. Occasionally I see a red one or a blue one, but the majority are white, black, grey. What is up with that?

foxden

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a silver car because white or silver cars do not get as hot in the sun as darker-color cars.
I did not want a white car -- therefore, silver.

Jayflower

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
White, silver/gray, and black do seem to be the most common colors.
I have a white one and a gold one.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I don't like white or black cars. They tend to show dirt more easily.

I have a silver/grey and love it. I think my next car will be a deep blue

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH and I picked my car based off what the dealer had in our price range. We've never really chosen a car based on it's color. Most of our cars have been black but my current is silver. DH's is deep blue. The only color I was adamant about not having was green.

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My car is silver. I don't especially like it. I would rather have that pretty blue. I was told that the prettier car color's cost more and the silver and white cars are cheaper.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom got a maroon minivan. When she bought it, the salesperson said it's an uncommon color. Do you know how many maroon vehicles we've seen since we started paying attention? Now it's a family joke. It seems like the most common new color now. I don't particularly care for it, but it's not terrible.

I don't like the rusty orange or mustard yellow that certain models were trying out a few years ago (notably Azteks. Nothing uglier than a rusty orange Aztek!). I've never gotten a new car or one that I could pick the color, but I might refuse to buy one of those orange or yucky yellow vehicles, unless they were substantially cheaper than the others. I'm not too fond of most shades of green, either. Especially that nasty pea soup green on '70s cars. Fortunately nobody seems to have resurrected the color for newer cars.

My favorite color for a car is that metallic dark charcoal gray. Not black, not silver, but something in between that. I'm inclined to call it gunmetal gray, because my dad used to do models and that was the color of model paint closest to what I'm thinking of, but some manufacturers have a different name for it.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a car, but I've always liked that champagne color. I think it's pretty.

tangers40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My first car was white (it was a hand-me-down, no choice), second was black, and 3rd was dark grey. I decided I had enough of boring colors, so my current car is blue! I prefer colors that are slightly non-standard (standard being black, white, grey, silver), so my favorites are blues or reds.

Lalexa67

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s not just you - I went out car shopping thinking I wanted a white bmw but came home with a sparkle blue Honda Accord. Lol - it was the color that caught my eye. Now I am noticing mustard, greens and orange coming back on newer cars. Not a fan.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Draco Draco On my way to work this morning, I saw a dark blue (might have been a Ford?) SUV. That color was just gorgeous. There's a burnt orange on some vehicles that looks good....I like that, too.

Most of my cars have been red. When I bought Clarence, somebody told me that his color was called "Arrest Me Red"! :lol:

When we bought the Tucson, I was adamant that it would be red. The salesman was having a difficult time finding a red Tucson. He asked me if I'd take grey and he'd put a couple burgundy pinstripes down the sides. Nope, I wanted red. They did find one, obviously, and it's in my driveway.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine is metallic charcoal grey. Whenever I have changed my cars (which is when the one I have falls apart) I dont care what colour it is as long as it is a different colour to the one it is replacing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I should have mentioned that my current car is red and prior to that I had two white ones. The first white car was used (not pre-owned!) and the best deal I found, and the second was new and what they had on the lot (sale on previous year's models). Currently, I have a 2010 Ford Fusion, which I bought new in 2009 (because the motor went bad the one I had for around 20 years. I guess I got my money's worth on that one!). They had two on the lot, one red and one black. I didn't really want either color, but the red was nicer, and I've come to like it.

I also have a gray Neon that I inherited from my Aunt a few years ago.

Previous we had a very pretty blue Toyota Corolla, but that was really old too and that color is apparently no longer an option.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
Manufacturers are only offering a few color choices now. Black, white, and silver/gray form the backbone of sales. Bright colors are usually reserved for very sporty cars. There might be a couple of other colors offered, but it's hard to find one on the lot that's configured the way you want. We usually factory-order our cars. We have to wait a while for them to be built, but they're usually exactly like we want.

We wanted to at least look at the Blue Jeans color Expedition when we bought, but there were none to be had. We got an excellent price and trade-in by buying on New Year's Eve when the dealers were eager to get cars off their inventory so the didn't have to pay floor charges on them starting January 1. We wound up with a red one, which is fine with me.

When we got our first red Taurus a police chief friend of mine told me I'd have a ticket within a year. That was over 25 years ago and I'm still ticket-free even though we've had two other red vehicles.

Most of the other cars we've had have been either white or silver. Black is a bad color in the Texas heat.

If you look, manufacturers only make a very limited number of interior colors, too. While interiors used to be color-matched, they go with whatever doesn't clash badly now.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My car is a Midnight Blue, purposely chosen. I really like it! And I really love my car as a whole.

My first car was a red one, kind of burgundy red. Pretty old, something only a poor little University student can get at the time lol

Might be common because it is also cheaper. My mom got a brand new black car in the spring, and because it was black she got a deduction on it. Not too much, about $8 off the price. But nevertheless, I reckon it is at least part of the reason why it is popular. Many people aspire for deals on vehicles altogether. Although I am sure it varies between dealerships too - hers is a Nissan.

I am not really keen on white, silver or black. Nothing against the actual colours, they are just harder to see in the winter.

My next car I'll opt for another red, blue or if budget and availability permitting, something fun like lilac. Charcoal grey can be nice too if done well. At the end of the day of course I'd be happy with any good quality car regardless of colour!

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been in the position to choose a car color. The four cars that I have driven in the last 16ish years have been either my parents' extra cars when I was a teenager or in college (one was green, the other silver), a white van that was a fleet vehicle from my dad's work that I got for cheap and my current car is maroon and I bought it from my mom when she didn't need it anymore. My current car is also the first car I have ever owned that was made in the same decade (and actually century) that I drove it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 2018 Honda civic! Dark blue. The dealer suggested using the panick button to find my car. I wanted red so it would stick out but it was more expensive.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I rule the World, I shall outlaw white cars unless it's on a supercar as they're the only ones that can carry the colour (just about). Everyday white cars just look anaemic.
Silver is a good colour as they can be quite dirty and still look ok. Also small scratches don't show up as easily.
I'm sorry white car owners, get ready for them to be scrapped. I'll introduce a generous exchange package so don't worry too much.
Non compliance will carry a ten year jail term. I call that firm but fair as all good laws should be.
My car is red.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Manufacturers are only offering a few color choices now. Black, white, and silver/gray form the backbone of sales. Bright colors are usually reserved for very sporty cars. There might be a couple of other colors offered, but it's hard to find one on the lot that's configured the way you want. We usually factory-order our cars. We have to wait a while for them to be built, but they're usually exactly like we want.
I figured that was the case. I first noticed a whole lot of white cars showing up, then somewhere along the line I noticed the white / black / grey trend. I'm sorry I did because now my OCD brain has to check all of the cars around me to make sure that's still the case. I see a few odd colors, green, orange, etc., but they are very rare. Even not that many red ones anymore (mine is red). I guess it must cost more to make the cars pretty colors.