Captain Stink Butt

missb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My fiance got a new kitten in October, and he was litter trained when we got him, which we thought would be perfect. We continue to use the same litter as he's used to: World's Best. When our little man goes pee, his genital region gets all wet; needless to say, that when he's done, he sits somewhere in the apartment-the bed, the couch, the coffee table-and leaves his mark. The apartment is really starting to smell despite our best efforts to clean up after him. It doesn't matter how much litter is in the box-this happens every single time. Any suggestions? Thank you!

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No suggestions on what to do about the litter but, to help out your furniture.

Get a small black light/UV light to find the spots where there's residue, buy some Natures Miracle urine cleaner, and soak the spots with it.

It's wonderful, it's enzymatic so it completely removes all the odor, and untill you get his little squat problem handled, it'll help clear up that smell.

(its serious stuff, the cleanest spots on my carpet are where my dog peed)

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you mentioned this to the vet? Just in case there's some anatomical reason for him peeing on himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missb

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have (and love!!!) the Nature's Miracle...that stuff is freakin amazing. I guess we'll just have to pop over to the mall and get a black light to find all those spots that we've missed. We haven't checked with the vet yet, but that's a good idea. Not sure why he's squatting so low when he pees...but perhaps it'll change when we get him fixed...

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
get him some high heels for his hind legs.

problem solved!

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
you know, they have indoor dog "litter boxes"

they're set up to catch a couple gallons of liquid in the bottom and have like a pretend grass on the top, perhaps you could set something like that up and get him to use it with some cat attract, it would at least help keep him dry, since it all just goes into the bottom of it and then you dump it out.

That way he wouldn't be squatting in his own urine, just a thought I had just now...

Maybe try some fleece too, like with guinnea pigs? it absorbs the urine and you interchange em and wash them not sure how well that'd actually work but its all I got

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CLucas976

Maybe try some fleece too, like with guinnea pigs? it absorbs the urine and you interchange em and wash them not sure how well that'd actually work but its all I got
I wouldn't give a cat fabric to urinate on. Given the large amount of people that have problems with cats that inappropriately pee on fabric items, this would be setting oneself up for a lot of trouble.
What if you forgot and put a fleece throw on the couch? Your bed?

Make sure he's not sinking into his litter as he stands in it, and get him checked out by a vet in case this is a serious problem causing him to leak/dribble instead of being able to cut off when he's done. Who knows, there could even be urinary tract problems causing this.

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
that was one of those last minute very dim light bulb moments, you'll have to excuse me.

I didn't even have the thought of what could happen to othe fleece items

ah well, don't mind me, I should probably put my delerious butt in bed now

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is he? If he's anywhere close to 6 months, he should have been neutered already. That may be the source of much of the smell.

But different cats pee in different ways. I'm not sure how much you can do to modify those behaviors.

We have a female at the shelter right now who stands straight up. Boy, SHE needs a covered litter box!