Capstar for Tapeworm

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi I recently got a feral fixed about a week ago. I brought him in my home to recover to see how he would do inside.

I have 3 other cats and kept him separated. He was cleared of parasites the vet said no fleas but I treated anyways with Revolution. He has roundworms which I started to treat outside and tapeworm. The vet told me they gave him Capstar for the tapeworm.

This medicine didn't ring a bell with me but after a few days he was doing well inside so I told the vet I want to start seeing how he does with my cats. Fast forward with some trials at an open gate today I decided to pull the trigger.

So far so good no fights! I just got nervous about the tapeworm. When I Google Capstar it doesn't say for Tapeworm. Just curious anyone else use. I want to make sure everyone is ok.

I did treat all my cats with Revolution too just in case. Which will cover everything but the tapeworm.

He is also clear of FIV and AIDs so they vet said go for the mix.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but it is my understanding that Capstar kills adult fleas for 24 hours. Of course what your vet may have been thinking was about future tapeworms which could come from a host flea. If you treated for tapeworm outside and he is cleared of them then I would guess that this is what the vet had in mind. Maybe Capstar has changed but I use it only to kill adult fleas. I do this with cats I want to bring in but cannot yet treat with a topical that kills larvae, eggs and the adult fleas.
To be sure, you need to clarify this with the vet. There are many tapeworm meds out there. Some are topical and some are pills. Some can be purchased at pet supply places with a prescription and some without one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am not a vet but it is my understanding that Capstar kills adult fleas for 24 hours. Of course what your vet may have been thinking was about future tapeworms which could come from a host flea. If you treated for tapeworm outside and he is cleared of them then I would guess that this is what the vet had in mind. Maybe Capstar has changed but I use it only to kill adult fleas. I do this with cats I want to bring in but cannot yet treat with a topical that kills larvae, eggs and the adult fleas.
To be sure, you need to clarify this with the vet. There are many tapeworm meds out there. Some are topical and some are pills. Some can be purchased at pet supply places with a prescription and some without one.
Yeah when I Google that's what I found too. The vet said specifically they used this for the tapeworm to treat it. I never used this med for that in the past. I had gotten things like droncit etc. This is why I'm asking bc I'm like did that work. I looked at the breakdown of the visit and there was no other meds used for that and they assured me it's ok to mix but since I see no supporting evidence it concerns me.

The dewormer I used on him outside did everything but tapeworm. I can't handle him unfortunately so I would need something now that can go in the food if I were to do another course. I think they might have stuff at the store that is over counter but I'll have to look.

I sperated everyone when I went to bed so I think they will be ok for the small interaction they had. There was a bit of a tuffle later after I got excited.

I had decided to close everything back up but one of my cats got through when I wasn't down there and he freaked out on the newcomer. So we need to go back to the slow introduction anyways. I hope that didn't ruin it. It was short but it did make the new kitty more cautious again and he hid more than he was.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet treats with Capstar on EVERY cat brought in for neutering/spaying as a preventative. I had asked if they had seen fleas, and that is when they told me it is routine. I use Profender topical on my ferals, you need it once and it takes care of all worms including tapeworm. It is the fleas that cause tapeworms, but Capstar will not take care of any tapeworms that are already in your cat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My vet treats with Capstar on EVERY cat brought in for neutering/spaying as a preventative. I had asked if they had seen fleas, and that is when they told me it is routine. I use Profender topical on my ferals, you need it once and it takes care of all worms including tapeworm. It is the fleas that cause tapeworms, but Capstar will not take care of any tapeworms that are already in your cat.
Ugh ok I wish they would of given him something else and I would of had this knowledge bc I would of pushed for it. Not sure why they thought Capstar was enough. I'll have to get something. I can't handle him at all so it needs to go in food now.