Can't wait

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't wait until next gardening season. My kids gave me a pressure canner for Mothers Day, which because of jar and lid shortages I couldn't use this year. My youngest son just gave me his Excalibur dehydrator. He had purchased it to dehydrate meals to use when he hikes. I think it was to much bother for him, plus with the pandemic he isn't long distance hiking now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When he gets back to it, then you can either give it back to him or make things for him :) We tried fruit and meat, I don't know if we didn't prepare the fruit correctly or didn't wait long enough but I wasn't all that impressed. The dried meat as jerky seemed ok, but the fruit "leather" wasn't dried enough or something.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
That was so nice of them. You've raised amazing kids!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs How awesome! Next year, get your canning equipment first thing in the spring. I had the same problem with finding lids later on in the season. You're going to love using your pressure canner. I use mine for several foods, although it's still a bit of a learning curve for me and I have to use it outside on the grill. And having a dehydrator just rocks. Congratulations!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have used a pressure canner for years, essential for green beans, corn, and meat, anything low acid. In fact, other than tomatoes, I have vowed to do no more canning until we use up what I have. We moved and I really found out how much I have done over the years, it fills one cabinet and I have shelves full in the pantry! At least now I know exactly what and how much I have. You'll find it is comforting to know you have a backup of food!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most lids nowadays WILL NOT SEAL if you boil them overlong. The instructions specifically say put lids in water brought to a boil and let them set in the hot water. I leave mine on low. I have never had a lid not seal in the pressure canner, only in the hot water bath method, and that has been due to a chipped rim I didn't catch, or food caught up under the seal.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
By the way, lizzie lizzie mentioned a problem with Ball canning lids not sealing properly this past season. Just thought I'd mention it.
Apparently there was a massive issue with the new ball lids they came out with.They made the rubber seal a tad bit more narrow and not as "thick"with the sealant,and there seemed to be an across the board issue whether or not you water bathed or pressure canned.One of the biggest things I read was happening was after all was said and done,days and even weeks later they lost their seals and product was lost.I had quite a stash of older lids,some ball and some not,and I turned around and ordered the old fashioned "plain janes"...just the flats...from a company called "uline" and have been thrilled with them.They are more heavy duty and old fashioned in my opinion,and my jars are staying sealed.Others who ordered from them have also been pleased.I'm hoping ball got the hint from all the complaints and saw the error of their ways.