Can’t touch

Akuhn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my Pretty Girl (yes that is her name) for over a year my first encounter with her was that she bite me. I always talk to her and she seems to listen and she gets along so well with my other two cats but she will not let me or my husband touch her. I dunno what to do to make her trust me

Attachments

emelyssa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is your lovely lady a rescued feral? I don't have the most helpful advice, but I'm in a similar situation. My formerly feral Brax has only been living in our home since May 20. He was truly a wild cat and hated me at first for bringing him in. In these almost two months, however, he and I have formed a powerful bond. He comes when I call him, sits with me, plays toys with me, and makes the most lovely faces when I talk to him and especially when I pay him compliments. We spend hours together every day, which he definitely looks forward to. But, he's given me a hard no everytime I attempt to pet him. My strategy is just to keep doing, and also to make sure to give lots of pets and kisses to his brother Drexl in front of Brax. I think that over time, watching Drexl receive that physical affection will open up the possibilities for him. I definitely hope so! That also worked for my late rescued feral cat, Fright Nite, though he was still outside at that time and it took like ten months of watching me interact with his brother before he took that leap. So, I hope this might help, but be patient and love on your other cats in front of her often!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Akuhn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi thank you for your feedback. No she was not feral I got her from a friend but I could tell right away something was not right . It really bothers me bc I have two other cats who are the most snuggling babies. I always feel like she is left out lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Akuhn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also I must add she is not aggressive she is just a chill little lady I feel like I failed her 😕

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know why you think you failed her. For one, there are cats who just don't like to be petted and handled - probably rarer than ones who do love it, but these cats do exist! This is especially true since you say that she is not aggressive and very chill. As mentioned above, I do think there is some truth to the idea that she might eventually 'catch on' as she watches the other cats interact with you. I saw it happen with a couple of strays my neighbor took care of. The younger this cat is the better the odds are that she will eventually turn around a bit. Not saying anything in this TCS article is guaranteed to work, but it sure can't hurt to try some of the ideas!
14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me – TheCatSite Articles
I am also not saying she doesn't like you, as the title infers - it is just how the authors chose to label it!!

Last edited: