Can't tell if my new and old kittens are fighting and playing

ursulaandbuffy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please advise!

My first kitten (Ursula) is about 6-7 months old and my new (Buffy) is a little over 4 months old.  I've had Buffy for about week and I've kept them in separate rooms the entire time, and site swap once a day.  They can get their paws under the doors and play with each other -- there was no growling and only one or two hisses when Buffy first showed up.  I did a little intro today and Ursula mostly seemed to want to sniff Buffy and follow her around, or swat at her every once in a while, but Buffy did not like it and they ended up kind of chasing / tackling, etc.  I couldn't tell if it was playing -- it looked like fighting, but there were no hissing or growls.  As soon as it escalated to any hissing or growling, I separated them again.  I used a towel to cover Ursula's head to move her into the bedroom, since if I tried to move Buffy, Ursula would just follow.  The towel seemed to upset her a LOT, so now I am afraid I've scarred her -- and of course, I'm nervous that perhaps they were just playing the whole time (albeit a little roughly and noisily) and that I didn't need to break them up at all.  Should I do anything differently the next time they are introduced?  How long should I wait before the next meeting?  (I was thinking a day.)

Please help!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No this is to be expected when introducing cats.  Expect hissing, growling, swatting.  Keep interactions brief and supervised.  Get down on the floor and use treats and praise for all good interactions (no hissing, swatting, etc.) If they do, do not get upset or get onto the cat that acts up.  Just calmly reseparate and try again later. Don't keep them together too long so you don't overwhelm them.  You can also try wand toys and play with them together.  The goal is to see each other as a positive thing... "I get to play or get treats and praise with the new kitty!"  Don't stress too much.  Just make visits a little longer each time and in another week or so, you can probably keep them out in the open together.  Each cat and situation is different.  But because they are young it is thought they should except each other rather quickly.