Cant pooping outside the litter box suddenly after 6 years

FozexD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat 6 years old (persian male) started pooping outside of the litter box. For some reason he stopped using it after years of use, the weird thing is that he occasionally poops in the same place downstairs near a bathroom door which is far from his litter box on 2nd floor. He doesn’t do it everyday but like once a week, I don’t know what to do i am really lost. He pees fine in the litter box but not poop. the food didn’t change and i clean his box once a day, any help guys ?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The simplest thing to try is to place another litter box downstairs where he is pooping and see what happens. Is he also pooping other places as well? I wasn't sure about that part.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

FozexD

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The simplest thing to try is to place another litter box downstairs where he is pooping and see what happens. Is he also pooping other places as well? I wasn't sure about that part.
No his only pooping in the same place. Not anywhere else. But not always, gonna get another litter box and put it in the place he poops and see. Btw the litter box is covered i will try removing the cover tonight

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When he poops somewhere other than the litter box, does it look normal? If he's at all constipated, that could be causing him discomfort, and cats generally associate the litter box with that discomfort, therefore avoiding it. Same thing if it's a bit more like diarrhea.

Putting out a 2nd litter box is a good idea, too, as sometimes cats decide they want to pee in one box, and poop in another.