Can't pick up cat

UVAPKC

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted Mysti 2 1/2 months ago from a shelter. She was very shy and it took us 10 days to get her to come out from under the bed. When we were not in her room she would come out to eat and use litter box. Now she follows us around the house, likes to be petted and brushed, loves to play with her toys, and will sit on my lap. she is a very sweet cat. Although she was seen by a vet at the shelter, I want to take her to my vet for a checkup. I have already had to cancel one vet appointment because she will not let me pick her up. I can for a second or two, but then she wiggles and scratches and gets away. I'm not sure how I am going to get her into the carrier. Any suggestions? Thank you.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have the same issue with my two. Neither like to be picked up and are expert wigglers and seem to turn practically boneless when getting out of human hands. Some techniques I've used: Leave her carrier in an open area where she likes to hang out for a few days or so. Each day toss some favorite treats and toys into the carrier but don't try and close it. Then the day of the vet appointment, toss in something enticing to get her in there, then close. It only works once though - they wise up to this quickly :)

We are hoping that as our two get more used to our petting and brushing, they will let us pick them up. But who knows!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. And congrats on your adoption of Mysti. :catlove:

My Ruby has hated being picked up ever since I adopted her, and 7 years later it's not much better. Getting her in her carrier for vet visits, therefore, is difficult. My vet, however, gave me a suggestion that has helped a lot, which might work for you.

This is what my vet suggested, to quickly get a cat in a front opening carrier.

If possible, without the cat seeing you, put the carrier up on a high surface, like a counter or table. Point it so that the door opening is right on the edge. Then quickly pick up the cat and while trying to avoid getting scratched, hold cat toward carrier opening. Since there is no where else for them to go, but in the carrier, they should go in. As soon as they go in, and walk to the back of the carrier to turn around, close the door.

I suggest wearing long sleeves, and maybe glasses, to protect yourself from scratches. And if there's a chance they'll run and hide under the bed, close doors to all rooms before attempting to put cat in carrier.

It sounds simple, but if you catch them by surprise, it really does work.

Good luck. Hope it might work for you.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
We adopted Mysti 2 1/2 months ago from a shelter. She was very shy and it took us 10 days to get her to come out from under the bed. When we were not in her room she would come out to eat and use litter box. Now she follows us around the house, likes to be petted and brushed, loves to play with her toys, and will sit on my lap. she is a very sweet cat. Although she was seen by a vet at the shelter, I want to take her to my vet for a checkup. I have already had to cancel one vet appointment because she will not let me pick her up. I can for a second or two, but then she wiggles and scratches and gets away. I'm not sure how I am going to get her into the carrier. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Some cats just don't like to be picked up. Maybe put some treats in the kennel and close the door on her.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Casper has never liked being picked up, either.

Over time, I have kinda' trained him to be picked up for a short time. I picked him up, petted him and did my best to make him feel comfortable. Don't let a cat's feet dangle when you pick them up. The hate that! Always support the cat's feet in one way or another.
Then, after about half a minute, put him down again and fuss over him and give him a treat. Over time, repeat this at semi-frequent intervals (once a week, more or less) until the cat gets used to being picked up.

Getting Casper into his carrier to go to the vet? That's a horse of a different color!
If Casper knows that it's time to go into his carrier, he turns into the proverbial can of worms.

The solution? Don't let him know that it's time until it's too late.
Get the carrier ready in another room, ahead of time and don't let him see it. Wait until he's quiet then grab the carrier, scoop up the cat, drop him in and shut the door before he realizes what's happening.

If you absolutely MUST get the cat into the carrier and he doesn't want to play nice, grab two hands full of fur. One at the scruff of the neck and the other at the spine, just ahead of the pelvis. Get a good grip, hang on tight and be sure to keep the pointy ends facing away from you. Throw a blanket or a bath towel over the cat and wrap him up if you need to.

Don't worry. Cats have extra fur in those places. Scruffing them like that doesn't hurt them. They sure might not like it but it doesn't hurt them, even though they make a fuss about it.

If you've got to get the cat to a vet and he doesn't want to play fair, what are you going to do? I know it's no fun for the cat and it's certainly no fun for me but I'm the human and what I say, goes!

I have had to scruff Casper a few times. I didn't like it any more than he did but when he needs to go to the vet, it's either the nice way or the hard way.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new rescue cat. It's now 2 weeks and a half. She's about 2 years old. The staff at the rescue center had trouble getting her into the carrier. They were scratched in the process.

That Friday on the ride home, I noticed that she sounded congested. Didn't get any better over the weekend so I called my vet and had to take her in that Monday. The first time I tried to get her in the carrier was not that difficult because I caught her by surprise. But I was scared she would scratch me. Took her to the vet and she ended up biting the assistant. They had to sedate her to examine her. Ended up having bronchitis and a tooth infection.

Anyway, brought her back home with antibiotics. Wasn't able to give her the medication. I was scared of getting scratched and bitten so again had to take her to the vet for an injection (poor baby). This was all within the first week of being with me so imagine the stress she went through.

The second time around was tough to catch her and pick her up. I ended up throwing a towel over her which briefly disoriented her and was able to pick her up and put her in the carrier. She was fine this time around. I had sprayed the carrier with the pheromones and once she got to the vet they were able to treat her without sedating her.

She still doesn't fully trust me but she's making progress. First time adopting a cat.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new rescue cat. It's now 2 weeks and a half. She's about 2 years old. The staff at the rescue center had trouble getting her into the carrier. They were scratched in the process.

That Friday on the ride home, I noticed that she sounded congested. Didn't get any better over the weekend so I called my vet and had to take her in that Monday. The first time I tried to get her in the carrier was not that difficult because I caught her by surprise. But I was scared she would scratch me. Took her to the vet and she ended up biting the assistant. They had to sedate her to examine her. Ended up having bronchitis and a tooth infection.

Anyway, brought her back home with antibiotics. Wasn't able to give her the medication. I was scared of getting scratched and bitten so again had to take her to the vet for an injection (poor baby). This was all within the first week of being with me so imagine the stress she went through.

The second time around was tough to catch her and pick her up. I ended up throwing a towel over her which briefly disoriented her and was able to pick her up and put her in the carrier. She was fine this time around. I had sprayed the carrier with the pheromones and once she got to the vet they were able to treat her without sedating her.

She still doesn't fully trust me but she's making progress. First time adopting a cat.
IMHO it sounds like that rescue might not be properly checking the cats.

Some cats never get used to getting in the carrier. Sounds like you found a solution especially when the cat had already been through an ordeal. It usually can take 2 or more weeks for a cat to adjust to a new environment

Thanks for adopting and loving this cat. I’m sure the two of you will be good friends in no time.

What is it’s name?

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My two rescues (also 2 yrs old when we brought them home in March) took a long time to get comfortable with touch. Fortunately we only had to bring them to the vet once for check-up and vaccines and they've been healthy since then. They still do not like to be picked up (though Scotch will allow it briefly, Whiskey will find a way to wiggle right out of your hands). For now we are just letting them get comfortable with touch - both now allow us to pet them though Whiskey enjoys it more than Scotchie - and eventually we'll start working on some more handling. Once Stormi does trust you - which may take a lot of time - it will be wonderful. Whiskey now sleeps on our bed and will cuddle up next to us purring. Melts the heart when I remember how terrified they were when they first got here.

I think most cats hate the carrier so there are things you can try (luring with treats) but at the end of the day you have to do what you need to do to get them in.

Stormi is a beauty. Thanks for giving her a good home.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two rescues (also 2 yrs old when we brought them home in March) took a long time to get comfortable with touch. Fortunately we only had to bring them to the vet once for check-up and vaccines and they've been healthy since then. They still do not like to be picked up (though Scotch will allow it briefly, Whiskey will find a way to wiggle right out of your hands). For now we are just letting them get comfortable with touch - both now allow us to pet them though Whiskey enjoys it more than Scotchie - and eventually we'll start working on some more handling. Once Stormi does trust you - which may take a lot of time - it will be wonderful. Whiskey now sleeps on our bed and will cuddle up next to us purring. Melts the heart when I remember how terrified they were when they first got here.

I think most cats hate the carrier so there are things you can try (luring with treats) but at the end of the day you have to do what you need to do to get them in.

Stormi is a beauty. Thanks for giving her a good home.
She does let me pet her briefly. She actually shocked me yesterday by letting me pet her for a longer time. She still hides now under the Xmas tree in the living room (no longer needs the safe room). She comes out to eat as long as we’re not too close. Will take treats from my hand occasionally but still frightened.

She is so cute that all we want to do is pick her up and cuddle with her but we’re being patient and respectful. Giving her space.
Should I be trying to pick her up? I tried once and she just scooted right out of my lap.

felinelover2

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is getting there. She must look so cute hiding under the Christmas tree.

I would not try to pick her up yet (unless its an emergency). When she's comfortable being around you and getting pets/touching then you can start working on stuff like picking up. Just build the trust first.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she is getting there. She must look so cute hiding under the Christmas tree.

I would not try to pick her up yet (unless its an emergency). When she's comfortable being around you and getting pets/touching then you can start working on stuff like picking up. Just build the trust first.
Thanks so much for the advice.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lara13 Lara13 : hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat parent. :bouquet: Sorry she had some health issues right off the bat. Hopefully everything will be good soon.

If you'd like, feel free to "formally" introduce yourself and Stormi in our New Cats on the Block forum.

Hlee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have a cat we got as a kitten that is 2 1/2 now and still does not like to be picked up. She is getting a little better with me but my husband only gets to hold her if I bring her to him.
Once in our arms she purrs and purrs but usually she is still looking to escape the first chance she gets. She was not a stray she is just a little goofball.
If your kitty likes treats use them. Mine loves them and they encourage her to cooperate with me. Sometimes. :)

PuffandPercy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've also had success getting a feisty cat into a carrier by herding them backwards.

Trying to get them to go head first can be an absolute nightmare. Claws and feet fighting against the edges to stop you being able to wedge them in head first. However, if you manage to grab them, they don't have a lot of defences if you get them in there butt first. They can't see where they're going, so thy can't use their front paws to stop themselves going in. They also can't really use their back feet either, because by the time they see it, they're halfway in. I've found, when I've done it, the cat was also very keen to get away form me, so backwards away from me, into the carrier, was almost like a retreat form the bad human. Never mind that was exactly what I wanted to achieve!

By the scruff, heard their bum towards the carrier, or even with a towel on their head/front to stop them scratching works as well. Not hugely pleasant, but a vet visit never is, and better to get it over and done with to ensure they're healthy. Lot's of treats and patience afterwards, and understanding that it might take some time to trust you again afterwards. We have the benefit of logic, we can explain why we're doing something, but poor kitty doesn't speak that language, so we need to convey the message of love to them as best we can, in ways they understand.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Krista was a doll about letting me pick her up and put her in the carrier. But we also did carrier practice where I left the carrier out and seeded it with treats several times a day. When I could get her to walk in reliably for treats, I'd close her in, zip it up, and lift it to the seat next to me on a mock car ride. After sitting next to her and talking to her for a bit, I'd lift her back down, let her out, and put treats back inside the carrier for her. We did these mock car rides for a couple of weeks before we did some actual practice car rides. I think it all worked. She eventually wised up and didn't like going into the carrier on her own. But she also didn't get very upset about the carrier and the car rides. She reserved her ire for the doctors and techs and the procedures they would do to her. Eventually, they would have to sedate her at every visit.

So yeah, between vet visits, I would practice getting her into the carrier and make sure she is richly rewarded for it every time. If you can get her in the carrier, practice car rides too. And in a pinch, I would get a big flattened cardboard box to use like a snow plow or a bulldozer to herd her into the bathroom where you have the carrier and the treats waiting for you. Close the door behind you once you're both inside. Throw a towel over her, scoop the towel and cat up, and dump towel and cat into the carrier. Don't bother retrieving the towel if you don't want to be bitten and scratched. This is your emergency protocol, e.g. you haven't done the carrier practice enough to where she can be enticed/bribed or lifted into the carrier any other way.

Between vet visits, you're going to keep working on the carrier practice so the towel eventually won't be necessary. Hopefully you will do this enough times that she'll have enough memories of "nothing bad happened and I got rewarded" to crowd out the few times that she will end up at the vet. Make sure you have treats to reward her on the drive home and after you get home and release her from the carrier. Not every time she goes into the carrier will be practice. But she should always be rewarded for it.

Finally, vet visits are often very stressful. After you have released her from her carrier at home, and offered her a treat, leave her alone for an hour. Let her calm down on her own terms. Give her space and go run an errand. I often dropped Krista off and went for a beer at the tap room after vet visits. By the time I returned, we were both feeling calmer and more relaxed.

TV Dinner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Towel

It's the only solution I've found to a cat that refuses to go in the carrier, does not like to be picked up and fights like mad to stay out of the carrier. Get a big towel and if you can find a way to get them to sit on it by putting a treat on it, their food, a dryer sheet, anything to just get them to sit on it for a few seconds that's all you really need to get a quick cat burrito on them. Look up videos on YouTube and practice with a pillow. Seriously so you don't mess your chance up when it comes. This works, I've done it a few times. Keep in mind you may have to keep the cat in place as you wrap them if it is a real fighter and squirmy one by doing a brief neck scruff. Don't ever pick him up with a scruff but a brief one to keep him in place as you wrap the towel around, or give medicine, is fine.

Worst situation is when you can't get them to sit on top of a towel so you can't burrito them. Towel still works, it just won't be fun. Simply drop it on top of them and quickly but carefully use your hands to kind of lift their sides and get the towel under them somewhat just enough to keep their limbs from flailing. Then quickly pick them up and put them in while picking up/supporting from under the towel. This isn't fun, but if your cat needs to go to the vet for his health he needs to go and this will keep him from scratching you or hurting himself getting in.

It's also useful to have a big carrier and set it so the opening is facing up so you can slowly lower him in inside instead of trying to push him in a carrier sitting on the ground normally.