Can't Pick Up Cat

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
About 2-3 weeks ago we got a new cat. His name is Peeves and he's 9 years old. Incredibly loving and affectionate. Loves to be petted but is not a snuggler. He is also the 1st cat I've had with front claws. So while I'm experienced with cats, Im not with claw trimming. In almost 3 weeks I've gotten 1 paw done and my carpet is starting to suffer. Lol

What I've discovered since I got him is that he HATES being picked up. I cannot stress the word hates enough. As soon as he leaves the ground I have teeth on my hand and claws in my arm. That means I cannot put him on my lap to trim his claws, I can't move him to get him to use his scratcher, and I cannot get him in a carrier to get him anywhere for someone to trim them or put caps on for me. I'm dreading his 1st vet visit.

Right now he lives in my son's room only because my other cat Angel and Peeves are both nervous about getting too close. But I'd really like to be able to pick him up without getting attacked before I let him out into the house. Any ideas on how I can get him used to being picked up without getting injured?

I should mention, his last owner had bad dementia at the end and even though Peeves was healthy, they don't know how he was cared for at the end. His teeth were so bad they had to pull 11, but his gums were completely healthy. The last owner wasn't able to communicate anything about his care to the shelter so I don't know how he was treated before we had him. He's been in the shelter all year.

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...this is tricky - since you have cats already I don’t want to suggest you don’t know what you’re doing, but after I realized my husband didn’t know how to pick up cats because his childhood cat only liked being held like a baby, I no longer assume everyone picks up cats the same way.
Many cats don’t like to be picked up without their back legs being supported. I usually scoop up the back legs with one hand and slip one arm under their front arm pits or against their forearms (forearms are actually better because this forces the front legs to be folded against their chest) then pick them up and hold them against my chest. Most cats, even if they don’t like being picked up, will tolerate me holding them like this for a couple seconds at least (long enough to move them to a new location) before struggling to get down. Because you are supporting all their limbs they feel more stable and it’s also harder for them to go after you. They have to twist to bite your arm, but you can hold them tight against your chest to prevent this, you also control the back legs so kicking is not effective. If he’s biting you, try to get his attention by making a weird noise. The arm that is supporting the front legs can usually stroke the head or upper shoulder area, try doing this and talking to him soothingly.

Anyways, if you’re properly supporting his back legs and he just cannot be held then I would try a different approach. Does he come when you call to him or have a treat he loves? My cats definitely know the sound of the treat bag. Use something to entice him into your lap, or over to the scratcher. Pet and praise profusely when he comes to you, convince him to settle down in your lap and give the claw trim a try. Sometimes, if my cats are mellowing out on the couch or their cat tree and I can stand over them with good leverage, I just trim their claws like that. As long as you hold the front paw steady and they are not struggling it’s perfectly fine. Is he good about letting you touch and manipulate his paws?

As for the carrier, make sure you leave it out for a couple of days befor the vet visit (or if you can, all the time). Put a comfy towel, toys and treats in it and place it in a quiet area of the house that he likes. Never shut him in until he’s comfortable with it. He should get curious and check it out in his own time. My kittens sleep in their carrier very often. When it’s time for the vet, you should be able to get him into the carrier with treats.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm used to being able to grab the back feet after I pick them up so wasn't doing that. I'll try it right from the ground.

We're working on paw touching still. I will pet his paws with one finger. He hated it at 1st but then I'd scratch his chin or cheek with that finger. He figured out he gets scratches if I can touch his paws so now he purrs as soon as I touch them. I still can't hold the left paw but hopefully soon. :)

Espalia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think everyone has a different technique, so maybe other posters will have an even better solution!

Sounds like you’ve made excellent progress with the paws, I should try that with my older kitty who has regressed about paw-touching since the introduction of new kittens. Claw trimming can take a few seconds or it can be a multi-day trial by fire depending on the cat.

Good luck! He sounds like a sweetheart and you are a saint for adopting him after the conditions in his last home.

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use a similar strategy :) I scoop Vega with my right /dominant hand, thumb under her right arm pit, middle, ring and baby fingers under the left. Index finger somewhere around her chin. As soon as she left ground, I support her feet with my left hand. She may lick or chew on my index finger but usually be gentle. She could be harsh on palm/arm or other body parts with larger are but one finger is the trick. I always feel like I'm in a cat show with the way I hold her and walking around rooms :p
Her mom, however, could hold her like normal people to normal cats. I'm jealous. ..
Hmm...this is tricky - since you have cats already I don’t want to suggest you don’t know what you’re doing, but after I realized my husband didn’t know how to pick up cats because his childhood cat only liked being held like a baby, I no longer assume everyone picks up cats the same way.
Many cats don’t like to be picked up without their back legs being supported. I usually scoop up the back legs with one hand and slip one arm under their front arm pits or against their forearms (forearms are actually better because this forces the front legs to be folded against their chest) then pick them up and hold them against my chest. Most cats, even if they don’t like being picked up, will tolerate me holding them like this for a couple seconds at least (long enough to move them to a new location) before struggling to get down. Because you are supporting all their limbs they feel more stable and it’s also harder for them to go after you. They have to twist to bite your arm, but you can hold them tight against your chest to prevent this, you also control the back legs so kicking is not effective. If he’s biting you, try to get his attention by making a weird noise. The arm that is supporting the front legs can usually stroke the head or upper shoulder area, try doing this and talking to him soothingly.

Anyways, if you’re properly supporting his back legs and he just cannot be held then I would try a different approach. Does he come when you call to him or have a treat he loves? My cats definitely know the sound of the treat bag. Use something to entice him into your lap, or over to the scratcher. Pet and praise profusely when he comes to you, convince him to settle down in your lap and give the claw trim a try. Sometimes, if my cats are mellowing out on the couch or their cat tree and I can stand over them with good leverage, I just trim their claws like that. As long as you hold the front paw steady and they are not struggling it’s perfectly fine. Is he good about letting you touch and manipulate his paws?

As for the carrier, make sure you leave it out for a couple of days befor the vet visit (or if you can, all the time). Put a comfy towel, toys and treats in it and place it in a quiet area of the house that he likes. Never shut him in until he’s comfortable with it. He should get curious and check it out in his own time. My kittens sleep in their carrier very often. When it’s time for the vet, you should be able to get him into the carrier with treats.

happilyretired

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You've gotten good advice, but if all that doesn't work, you might try wrapping him in a large bath towel as you pick him up. This will protect you and make him feel more secure at the same time. If he's going in the carrier, you can leave the towel as a cushion.

I only adopt adults, and none of my cats have allowed me to clip their claws, so I have it done by the vet.