Can't get to vet, my cat has watery eyes and is sneezing

a028

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was supposed to take him in today but my car is busted and it's in the shop, costing a fortune & my entire stimulus check. All so very convenient during this stressful time. Not sure when I'll have it back & I can't ask for a ride either because of social distancing.

But yes basically my cat last night started getting the sniffies, sneezing more than usual, and rubbing his watery eyes. This morning, symptoms didn't improve. Thankfully he is still eating and drinking normally. He's slightly lethargic but still wanted to play and interact, still jumping onto the cat tree. He went to the vet 2 weeks ago for wheeziness in his lungs and coughing, and was prescribed prednisolone steroid for a week. It helped a little, no more coughing, but I can still hear the wheezy breaths. So it's all got me worried. I'm wondering if it's a respiratory infection or if it's just bad allergies. Because he's always had kind of wheezy breathing/asthma, and I did catch him twice now sneaking into my roommate's room, napping right next to those horrible glade plug-ins. I know he's allergic to perfumes, as am I, so my roommate only keeps them in his room but sometimes forgets to shut his door.

So I'm just not sure exactly what to do to help him while I'm unable to get him professional help, or what this could be. I called and asked for advice but they won't offer over the phone services. Right now his biggest irritant is his poor watery eyes.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wipe his eyes very gently with a soft cloth moistened in luke-warm water...a little cooler than is comfortable to you (cats are more heat-sensitive than we are). That will relieve his eyes, at least as much as you can do right now. As for the sneezing...you can try turning on your shower full hot, letting the bathroom get very steamy, and putting him in there with the steam for a few minutes. That can relieve nasal congestion. LOL, that's one of those tricks that mothers know, and it works well for cats, too!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you give him a daily antihistamine? That would help with the sneezing and runny eyes if it's related to allergies.