Cant Get My Cat To Drink Out Of Water Bowl Or Pet Fountain

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you have the fountain off and pour water into it will he go near it? turn it back on after he walks away.

I've been looking at these but if the fountain scares him so might these.
Thanks! I am going to look into these and purchase one of them and see if he will use it.

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Does anyone know how I can edit a comment and. post affect I have clicked post already?

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*after

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Bone broth is made with water and bones, and a lot of time on a low temperature.
@1 bruce 1 makes some as does @cheeser maybe one of them could provide more specifics :)
Also you'll be able to edit your posts after about 20-25 posts (and 5 days being a member I think it is), then those three little lines at the bottom left hand corner of your posts will include an edit option.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IAdditionally, I wanted to ask about how to make a meat broth (not a bone broth), because I'd like to get him to drink a lot of water.
Why not bone stock? I freeze a lot of bones and when I have a couple pounds, they get covered in water in the crock pot and simmered for 24 hours.

You can make a meat broth by covering meat with water. Bring it up to a simmer, then turn the heat down to maintain a slow simmer. With a meat broth, you only need an hour or two (until the meat is done) since you aren't trying to extract the gelatin and minerals as you are doing with bone stock. You're just extracting "meat flavor" into the water, so you don't need extended hours of simmering.

With either broth or stock, you can refrigerate, scoop the solidified fat off the top, then freeze the stock or broth in containers. For your cat, you might try freezing in ice cube trays.

ailish

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ailish gets four meals a day, three of them wet. I add a good amount of water to each dish and she eats it right up no matter how watery it is. I never see her drink, although she has fresh water twice a day just in case. I would say that's your best bet to get water into a cat.

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Orange&White, Can I boil pork chops? I have never heard of anyone doing that. Im not sure if the meat would come out tasting edible. Usually I pan fry my pork chops.

Ailish, I have never had any luck with adding water to his wet food, it makes him snub his nose at the food and walk away.

Furballsmom, thanks.

Maggie101, The fountain cost me about 70$, I am going to try to recover some of that expense by selling it on Ebay.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can boil pork chops. Unseasoned boiled meat does end up bland and mushy, IMO. (That's why I tend to trim the meat off bones to cook for myself, or make raw pet food, and simmer only the salvaged bones for bone stock.)

You can somewhat salvage boiled meat used to make a meat broth, by mixing it with BBQ sauce, or chopping it, seasoning and using it for tacos, or baking it into a casserole, or scrambled eggs, etc. Or save some of the broth and pork to season for a pot of beans or pork and bean soup.

You don't want to add any seasoning to broth or stock for the cats, so then you have to get creative to make the meat edible for yourself afterward. Not as tasty as pan-fried pork chops (:yummy:), but you can make it edible.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...and I was just thinking...

Before you risk pounds of meat, you might want to try simmering just one chop in a little bit of water to see if your cat likes it. My senior cat absolutely won't touch any of my stocks, one cat is "so-so", and only one cat (and the dog) enjoy stock.

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much orange&white. Thats what I'll do. He isn't interested in stock right now, just "tuna juice" which I cant give to him anymore because of his stones, so the stock that I make will need to be as flavorful and concentrated as the tuna juice is. ...Its a lot of work. But Im gonna begin with the faucet attachment idea, there are 2 I found that I like on Amazon.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a different idea. Start giving him bottled water in his fountain, replace the water twice a week. At the same time put sticky tape or air canisters to make it so he will not go up on the vanity anymore.

I have a water loving cat. I used to give him water in the bathroom sink. Then I bought him a fountain. Then a month ago he wanted to drink out of the sink. Every time he jumped up, I put him down on the ground & ignored him. 2 weeks later he stopped.

The gray stuff is charcoal from the filters. I switch out the filters once a month when I clean the fountain (a 4-5 days after their flea medication application.) Twice a month I clean their fountain because of hair build up from 3 cats. I switch out the water daily for a few days after I apply their flea medication. The grey stuff is minute, stays on the bottom & my cats don't seem to mind... so I ignore it.

This is what I got my boys (& our semi-feral uses) :
Drinkwell 360 Pet Fountain

AnnaJm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He will not drink bottled water out of his fountain. He has drank out of the faucet and out of my hand, up on the bathroom counter, for his entire life. He is 9 years old. I would not scare him away from the only thing he has ever known. The bathroom sink is the best place for him to get water because it's well lit and clean.

Elfilou

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also think you need to stop hand-feeding him water. Ever heard of enablers? :p Haha.

If my mom had never stopped cleaning my room as a teenager I would've never learned to clean it myself.

Just food for thought.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone know how I can edit a comment and. post affect I have clicked post already?
You need to have 20 posts before you can edit things. Once you have 20 post you will be able to see the word edit at the bottom of your post. You click the word edit.

Stephg143

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s odd. You would think the newbies would deffinantly get an edit button