Can't find Clavamox at local pharmacies - why?

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The vet clinic charges $45-$47 for a week's worth of Clavamox and I need a refill. Costco charges $10-$15 but they have to order it and it won't arrive in time (takes 5 days and I need it by Wednesday night). I called Walmart, Harris Teeter, Wegmans, and Walgreens and none of them carry it or can order it. There's not enough time to order it from online pharmacies.

The vet clinic failed to tell me I would need a refill. I realized the bottle they gave me would not be enough for 2 weeks on Saturday. By then it was too late to contact the vet for an online prescription (closed over the weekend).

Does anyone know why local pharmacies don't carry Clavamox? It's such a common medication that I figured they'd have it. I've never had issues getting it at Costco before. I did notice that the vet clinic is using a brand I've never heard of. Ok, it looks like there's an amoxicillin shortage. Is this why the local pharmacies don't have it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
This might be one time that you have to bite the bullet and pay the price the vet charges - assuming they have Clavamox on hand. If they don't then, they will tell you the next best thing to use, and you can start the calling around process with the local pharmacies all over again. Augmentin is the human version, but the dosage is not the same and you would need the advice of your vet or a knowledgeable pharmacist to do the translation. Whatever you do, don't interrupt her treatment if at all possible.

Fergusboy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe you can call around to local vets and see if you can get it from a vet who has some in stock (you'll need a RX from your vet).