Can't catch sick feral

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I care for a group of four ferals. Three are now friendly to me and one is not. The unfriendly one is sick. He sounds stuffy (I can hear him when he hides under my car), looks dirty, his nose is snotty and his inner eyelids are a little high. I have been trying to catch him in a trap for a couple of days to take him to the clinic where he was neutered last year, for an evaluation and antibiotic shot. The problem is, he won't go near the trap even with smelly fish inside. Now he runs off when he sees me coming. It is impossible to keep the friendlier cats away from me or the trap but he won't eat until I leave. I'm just going to end up catching one of the friendly ones and scaring them. On top of all that, they live in a big shared parking lot with no privacy and people driving in and out all day. 

I don''t see a way to catch him, but I don't want him to die or get the others sick. Is there anything else I can do or give him? Would a vet give antibiotics for a feral  without a visit?

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get fish mox at the pet store.  It is a powdered form of amoxicillan.  Best if he eats wet food, as you can sprinkle it on top.

But he really needs to see a vet.  If you can borrow a drop trap, you might be able to catch him.  If you know anyone who has minimal skills with hammer and saw, you can easily make one.  Google "drop trap' for ideas.

As a last resort, you can also use a dog crate as a modified trap.  Tie a length of twine to the door, then loop the other end through the top and walk a distance away (hide if you must).  When you place the food at the back of the crate, the cat will be absorbed in it and should not notice when you pull the twine and gently close the door.

You will need a helper to rush forward and secure the door and to help you carry the crate.  Covering it will help calm him down.

Good luck and welcome to TCS!

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
@hurtingheart  

Very sad to hear. I had a similar experience back in May. I was fortunate it was the first time I trapped the cat so he was not aware of the trap. I took him to my vet and they gave a shot for upper respiratory infection and I had to put gel in one eye three times a day until the gel was all gone. What you are describing sounds very similar.

I am guessing you have already trapped the cat once seeing you got it neutered. You could check the Internet for cat rescue people local to you and see if one or more people will give you a hand catching the cat. Maybe the cat won't be as wary of other people seeing you have already trapped the cat once it likely knows what you are up to.

I sure hope you are successful at trapping the cat and getting it the help it needs. You are an amazing person and you deserve the success.

Last edited:

janeofthejungle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I suggest a drop trap and hide if u can. Your local animal rescue may have one to loan out if you don't have one. So sorry your going Thru this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hurtingheart

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Got him! The drop trap worked and he got an antibiotic shot. Thanks, everyone! :)

linacct

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a late post but just give him Lysine treats at least 500mg per day until the symptoms are under control. Give 250mg more if you have to. Then maintain with 250-500mg per day. He probably has the feline herpes virus and the other cats have been exposed so give to them too. Trust me , it works.