Can't Be Fleas?!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, it's been quite a while since i've written on here.

One of my cats- Toby- might have something going on. I am almost 100% sure it cannot be fleas. He and Stella got a flea bath recently, and they also get monthly flea treatments. They are both also indoor only, and I vacuum and keep my apartment tediously clean. As some of you may remember there is a stray cat names Thomas who I take care of and comes inside sometimes, but he too get flea treated.

So what happens is a few times a day, Toby will start running, and then will quickly turn around and lick and bite at his fur. It is usually around the tail. He zooms around and does this for a bit and then usually stops. Stella does not show any signs of these things just Toby.

Any ideas?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you used a flea comb on him?

If it was fleas, you would have fleas too. Miserable creatures! They don't discriminate. Pick up a flea comb and rule out fleas first because they are extremely difficult once you have an infestation.

Aside from that, I don't have a guess at what it may be. Just be sure it's not fleas!

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Use the flea comb and look for both fleas and flea dirt. You may have treated them all recently and kept your home spotless, but flea eggs are tricky little things and can lay dormant for a while.

Even the cleanest of homes can get fleas. While fleas can only stay on people for a short time, they can be carried into your home that way. Have you treated your yard?

Autumn is the worst time of the year for fleas for many areas. We have only ever had them in October and November.