Cans That Don't Go Ffffffffft.

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You know, that sound of pressure escaping when you open a can of food.

I always listen for it because It assures me that the can has remained sealed and the food is safe to eat. If I don't hear that sound, I'll try another can.

But when I was doing rescue, we used to open tons of cans in noisy environments where we wouldn't be able to hear that sound anyway. I don't remember anyone ever getting sick from the food.

I mention this because I have an 8 month old who routinely goes almost a whole day without eating. Earlier this afternoon, I noticed she hadn't had a bite in almost 24 hours so I went out to get some flavors I thought she might eat, which are few and far between. There's one particular flavor of Friskies she's eaten before but it's been hard to find. Lo and behold, after 2 hours of searching I found ONE can. By the time I got home, I was so frustrated I opened the can but it didn't make that ffffft sound. She ate some of it, but now I'm worried.

I'm wondering if this is silly. Do you listen for that sound before feeding?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
after 2 hours of searching I found ONE can.
Bless your heart, I've done this as well :)

I don't get that sound when opening cans of cat food, and I use a few different brands.

Can you entice her with baby food soup, or even kitten food? Or if she has a favored dry treat, maybe crumble a little on top of wet food.

Baby food soup is a teaspoon or so of Beechnut meat baby food (it doesn't have cornstarch) and a teaspoon or so depending on what the cat prefers, of warm water :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Meekie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think she'll go for the baby food soup because she only likes chunky food. She won't even go near pate. Once I mixed a tube of Churu with her food but that made it super mushy. She literally gagged after looking at it.

But she is a big drinker so who knows? I'll give it a try.

Not sure about the treat adding because I fear she'll come to expect treats in her food (see my other thread about spoiling picky eaters). I will not feed her Temptations or friskies treats after stuff I've read about them. I give her Bravo threats, which are expensive! If the treat idea works, that might amount to a couple tablespoons of treats a day. I'm not sure if that's going to be good for her. And you know how cats are: soon she'll be demanding more treats mixed in with her food!

Upon adopting her, it was my intention to give her the healthiest diet possible with limited junk (treats, kibble) on the side. Well, after 4 months, she's manipulated me into giving her fancy feast ( the blue buffalo and tiki cat did NOT go over well) all the time. Now it seems the Fancy Feast brand is going south.

I've suppose bad food (tuna and dry food) is better than no food, but that's not how I wanted it to go for her..

Thanks for your advice!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can't help with the eating issue, but I can say that none of my cans (which are all pull-up tops) make any such noise.

If the dry food is of a quality that you like, you can always try mixing some water with it to help with added moisture.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pop-top cans might not make that sound because of the way they are made.

Product is put into the can, the lid is sealed on by machine then it goes into an oven to be baked and sterilized. Once the cans have cooled, the pressure inside has equalized to atmospheric pressure, again. (Or nearly so.)

The reason some cans "burp" when you open them is because the product is put into the can while hot, then the lid is put on and sealed. When the product inside cools, it leaves a vacuum. When you open the can, air rushes in and makes the familiar "burping" sound.

With modern production methods, the food is cooked INSIDE THE CAN. Therefore, you may or may not hear the can burp when you open it.

As long as the can remains completely sealed, is not dented beyond reasonable limits (shop worn) and the top or sides of the can do not bulge, the contents should be good until the expiration date printed on the can or longer.