Canned Versus Dry

Vardanspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Which is the better option for an adult cat? I have already switched to wet food because of the moisture content that it contains. I've got a friend who I trust with any problems in dealing with cats. She has had cats before, so I turn to her for advice. I mean I've been told not to switch wet cat food brands. I would like to have variety as back up or is that a bad idea?

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I like switching brands, as long as the cat doesn’t have problems digesting it (some kitties have sensitive stomachs). Switching brands stops the kitty from becoming picky, which is a big problem if the only food kitty is fed suddenly is discontinued, has a recall, or changed formula.

In addition, if there are certain brands that are less balanced, switching brands ensures the most varied and complete diet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vardanspot

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah the recalls are what I watch out for as an concerned but overprotective cat parent. I consider Buddy my child, since I can't have kids at all. I've switched brands a couple of times, since variety is the spice of life for cats. I don't want to have a picky cat that likes one brand of wet food. Plus there are different kinds of wet food brands out there. Have I done the wrong thing for her? I have lots of worries and did I do the right or wrong thing for my cat.. I feel like I messed up big time.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I feel like I messed up big time.
Not at all.

Variety of wet foods is vital, in my opinion, because of the questionable to outright bad additives and ingredients that pet food manufacturers are using these days as filler/replacements for the natural (more expensive to harvest/produce et al), ingredients.
A rotation of different brands means that your cats' system may have a better chance of dealing with and hopefully expelling the bad stuff.

In addition, as mentioned, utilizing only one food runs the very real risk of the cat becoming accustomed to ONLY that food. When the manufacturer makes a change to the recipe formula that the cat hates and won't eat, it's a very serious problem, and happens a LOT lately.

This two databases can be helpful;
Pet Food Guide
CatFoodDB - Cat Food Reviews to help you find the best cat food for your cat

Last edited:

CalliopeUno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been using only dry food, so many people here probably think I've really screwed up too. He stays very well hydrated, drinks from both his bowls and also likes to drink from bathroom faucet when I'm in there. He's gained 2 lbs since I got him and obviously thriving except for being obnoxious. I wanted to avoid an overly picky eater like the ones I cat-sat for several years who would only eat certain canned foods from certain dishes at certain times and had to have the leftovers warmed up and sometimes would only eat baby food, and just when you'd figured then out they'd changed it up on you. (I think they were gaming their mom, they were very smart cats, a Bombay and a Russian Blue). This also produced a huge amount of waste even tho the cans are recyclable.
I do give mine bits of fresh fish now and then (cooked) as I eat it about once a week. He eats it cold if it's from the fridge. And I carefully chose his dry food for ingredients and nutritional balance. I think you can still be a good kitty parent even if we're not all exactly alike in our choices. And I'm certain there will be times that I will give my guy canned- just wary of making him into a diva. He's already a Siamese ;-)

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been using only dry food, so many people here probably think I've really screwed up too. He stays very well hydrated, drinks from both his bowls and also likes to drink from bathroom faucet when I'm in there. He's gained 2 lbs since I got him and obviously thriving except for being obnoxious. I wanted to avoid an overly picky eater like the ones I cat-sat for several years who would only eat certain canned foods from certain dishes at certain times and had to have the leftovers warmed up and sometimes would only eat baby food, and just when you'd figured then out they'd changed it up on you. (I think they were gaming their mom, they were very smart cats, a Bombay and a Russian Blue). This also produced a huge amount of waste even tho the cans are recyclable.
I do give mine bits of fresh fish now and then (cooked) as I eat it about once a week. He eats it cold if it's from the fridge. And I carefully chose Any mail for me?his dry food for ingredients and nutritional balance. I think you can still be a good kitty parent even if we're not all exactly alike in our choices. And I'm certain there will be times that I will give my guy canned- just wary of making him into a diva. He's already a Siamese ;-)
I don’t understand how feeding canned food turns a cat into a diva? :headscratch:

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Olive is a diva. She eats only canned ;)

Seriously though, Vardanspot Vardanspot , you are thoughtful and are asking questions and are informed. Buddy is lucky to have you!

CalliopeUno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
PS the resource I most used when researching various foods is:
pawdiet.com
You can enter searches that will compare different brands to each other or examine each one individually. They include information regarding ingredients, nutritional analysis, potentially dangerous ingredients, controversial ingredients, number of recalls, cost analysis etc of wet, dry, for dog and cat. The most comprehensive I could find, that helped me feel I selected the best within my price range, with a little outside my price range just to up the quality a bit more. Can't afford to feed all Nulo all the time but can afford to add a handful to the jar I keep his food in.

CalliopeUno

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t understand how feeding canned food turns a cat into a diva? :headscratch:
Just feeding a cat wet food obviously won't turn him/her into a diva lol! I was giving an extreme example trying to be funny. My choices are based upon other considerations as well, and as I said, I'm quite sure there will be times he has wet food too