Canned Food Recommendations

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
1,492
@ Neo, she eats the Fancy Feast classics and a few others (shredded). They come in at 22-27% fat.
As far as I know, all of the fancy feast classics are above 50% fat. Check out this chart, it may be helpful: http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

I think 20% fat would be too low to be honest. That would be mean that the other 80% would have to be protein and carbs, and likely it wouldn't be mostly protein if it's commercial, so you would just be feeding mostly carbs.
 

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Joined
Jan 10, 2018
Messages
827
Reaction score
971
Location
Cleveland, OH
That's interesting. When I pulled up your chart I got one thing. When google cat food analysis and catinfo.org comes up, I came up with a different chart.
I tend to look at catfooddb for information or look at the label on the can or look at the Fancy Feast website.
 

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
1,492
The chart I linked to is the catinfo.org chart by Dr. Lisa P. Values on the labels or on the FF website are not accurate because they give you maximums and minimums and they don't tell you the percentage of protein/fat/carbs per 100g of calories. That's what Dr. Lisa P.'s chart gives you. She actually called every food company and obtained more accurate values and then calculated the percentage of each calorie source. I guarantee there are very few commercial cat foods out there with less than 30% fat (unless they are high in carbs).
 
Last edited:

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 22, 2016
Messages
39
Reaction score
7
That's interesting. When I pulled up your chart I got one thing. When google cat food analysis and catinfo.org comes up, I came up with a different chart.
I tend to look at catfooddb for information or look at the label on the can or look at the Fancy Feast website.
Funny. Lisa P. actually has TWO charts, one comparing protein, fat, carb and phosporus, the other chart is called 'Nutritional Composition. meh?
 

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
1,492
Funny. Lisa P. actually has TWO charts, one comparing protein, fat, carb and phosporus, the other chart is called 'Nutritional Composition. meh?
Aren't these the same chart? Can you link to both?
 

cluckingduck

TCS Member
Young Cat
Joined
Oct 22, 2016
Messages
39
Reaction score
7
Aren't these the same chart? Can you link to both?
on the bottom of each chart, it states that you can link for your own use, but do not link to public domains. On her site she has a link to "Cat Food Composition" and another link to what she calls "Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate/Phosphorus Chart". They are basically the same.
 

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Sep 2, 2017
Messages
1,878
Reaction score
1,492
on the bottom of each chart, it states that you can link for your own use, but do not link to public domains. On her site she has a link to "Cat Food Composition" and another link to what she calls "Protein/Fat/Carbohydrate/Phosphorus Chart". They are basically the same.
Ah, well that's good to know cause I think many of us here have linked the chart on numerous occasions.
Yeah, I think it's the same chart, she's just calling it different names.
 

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Dec 13, 2017
Messages
3,905
Reaction score
4,336
It can get rather confusing when comparing the % of protein vs fat in a cat food, which with the fancy feast classic that i am looking at is 48% protein and 23% fat, vs the calories per 100 grams of food, which for this one 50% of the calories come from fat, and 43.50% of the calories come from protein. Fat has more calories than protein, so even though there is more protein in the food than fat, more of the calories come from the fat. It gets complicated...lol so when i look at one chart and then another they can look so very different. I really have to stop and think, ok which % are we talking about?
 
Top