Canned Cat Food That Won't Kill Your Cat

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new cat Kumal is skinny. I mean if he were to get wet, all you would see are his bones. I've been giving him numerous small meals which are totaling around 3-4 cans a day.
I feed my girls FF, but as noted in another thread, the price has jumped way up. They will continue on FF, but I need something cheap, and mostly healthy just to fatten up my poor boy.
I normally would never even consider feeding something like 9-lives or meow mix, but with the amount I'm having to shove into him, this may be my only option.

Help me with some ideas. It's only until he doubles his weight, then he will eat FF.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you have a problem with free feeding him dry food while he gains weight? Or is it too hard to keep from the other cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a problem with free feeding him dry food while he gains weight? Or is it too hard to keep from the other cats?
I do free feed Purina One True Instincts and although he seems to like it, he doesn't like it well enough to eat enough to put on weight.
And yes, you are correct. Samai (the fat cow) loves the stuff, so I only keep enough in the bowl to make her think she has some.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I too know the struggle of having one chub and one picky eater...

But maybe it's the brand. What other foods have you tried?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you want pate or with gravy? I use Friskies, it's the only brand my cats will eat and it's basically the only brand that I can afford.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But maybe it's the brand. What other foods have you tried?
I just found half a bag of Beyond that Samai decided she didn't want, so I may try that. He likes the dry, he just doesn't eat a whole lot of it.

Do you want pate or with gravy? I use Friskies, it's the only brand my cats will eat and it's basically the only brand that I can afford.
He prefers pate (for now). I'll check out the Friskies.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about kitten. This would be higher in protein. But would it be too high or have too much Taurine?
He's 3 years 10 months

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only problem I have with buying anything online is that UPS claims my address doesn't exist and USPS will not do anything over 20 lbs.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There might be something here
How To Get A Cat To Gain Weight
I did read this. I think my best option at this point is just to feed him..a lot, but in small portions.
The shelter called yesterday to check up on him, but I've been in bed sick for a week (which is really irritating since I don't get sick) and I didn't answer. I really want to find out more about his story.