Cannabinoids For Pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever used cannabinoid as an alternative for treating pets to minimize pain, decrease hunger or for anxiety? I'm not looking for an endorsement; just if anyone has tried it. I read an article that talks about a product called VetCBD. To quote the webpage "Cannabidiol (CBD) is one of over 80 cannabinoid extracts from the cannabis plant. it is non-psychoactive and does not produce a “high.” It is a natural, plant-based compound and is non-toxic. CBD shows promise in its use for conditions such as inflammation, seizures, pain, anxiety, cancer, and more." They emphasize that this should in no way take the place of going to a vet but rather be discussed with them as an option. I also found a page called Canna-Pet which is interesting. It states that "Most of these pet products, which aren't regulated, contain cannabidiol or CBD, a chemical compound found in cannabis that doesn't get pets or humans high. They contain little or no tetrahydrocannabinol or THC, the cannabis compound known for its psychoactive effects."

Last edited:

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
has anyone had experience with their vet in regards to this? CBD oil sounds promising for help for arthritis pain. I really hope in the next few years we find more info for this- CBD oil is legal in all 50 states by the way. As long as it's below a certain point-can't be super strong-can't remember the THC level- but I am going to ask my internal vet about this next month.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, we did use them for our cat with lymphoma. We used the Petabis brand that we got at Chuck&Don's. We believe it eased some of his pain and discomfort. Also, we noticed it improved his appetite as well. I am a chemist, so I did my research before giving him this. Cannabinoids are natural compounds that have been proven to have excellent properties for human and animal health. We have a friend that uses it for her dog before going on long trips. I would suggest trying it and see it for yourself.

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
Kitten70 Kitten70 what was the mg? 300? I hope it really helps her-because Idon't know what else to do - we tried cutting back food but she's still overweight and they wont do surgery on her unless we get the weight down. and I am not sure I want to do surgery without adequate pain control with the silliness now with pain meds-that's not fair to her.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Foxycat, here is the link, I think you can purchase it on-line too or in any natural pet store:
Petabis Organics hemp oil for dogs and cats hemp dog treats hemp heart

The bottle is 75mg (Petabis Organics CAT PRODUCTS Hemp Oil for Cats & Kittens 75 mg) , depending on the weight of your cat you have to give her an exact amount of drops, the label will tell you. For Kitty we use to put 5 drops in his wet food. It may increase the appetite, but every cat is different, so I would just give it a try for a few days and go from there.

Kitten70

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just curious and checking back on this. Did any of you tried the cannabinoid oil for pets?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susana

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I tried the CBD capsules for cats from Canna-Pet.com which come in 2 strengths: Canna-Pet Advanced (170mg per capsule) and Canna-Pet Advanced Max (510ng per capsule). Canna-Pet said they didn't normally recommend the oil for cats because they don't like the taste. I bought the 10-capsule trial size because it is quite expensive and I wanted to make sure Mikey would eat it with food and that it would work. To my dismay, he wouldn't touch his food when I mixed it in, even after my dwindling the amount I mixed in to 1/3 of the capsule. When I opened it up and smelled the contents inside, though, I have to admit it the was pretty strong. I wish it had worked, though. Mikey finally succumbed to cancer on Sept. 30th at 2:30am and died at home in his bed. I had scheduled an at-home euthanasia for him that day but he died with his head in my hand, breathing heavily and moaning before taking his last breath. It broke my heart into a million pieces and left a hole so big...

Last edited:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
So very sorry to read this news. We'll lock the thread now out of respect for your loss, and we invite you post a tribute to your friend in our Crossing the Bridge forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.