Canine Discipline By Tortitude

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have made great strides in reducing the barking sessions of our Silky Terrier but there are still some relapses.

This time, it involved barking at something imagined in the front yard, a few days ago

He let out a few barks at something known only to him and dashed for the front window, with their low sills that he can stand up and look out of.

I was getting ready to give the “cease and desist†order, HOWEVER, he did not know that Kasey the tortie was relaxing on her side on the throw rug near the window.

She got partially up and let out a very evil sound combining a hiss, growl and snarl.

The barking stopped, IMEDIATELY and he did a very quick 180 degree turn and beat a silent retreat.

The old girl was more effective in canine discipline then anything I could have said..

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That is hilarious! If only my Chester would do that with our recently adopted Lola (She is a Chihuahua/Pug mix)! Although I think Chester enjoys some of her antics. He will lay there and watch her with his tail lazily flipping. She is generally a good dog, just some small things that could be better. When I was growing up I had a tortie, she was bi-polar of course but I loved her "Tortitude".

Keep up the good work Kasey!!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How awesome is that! Your cat is a 'dog whisperer'
! I'm sure there are many people who could use her helpful tips and advice, maybe you should think about helping her write a book, 'The diary of a mad Tortie'?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also have a dog trainer in my household - Stumpy. Stumpy grew up with dogs and absolutely loves them, even more so than his cat companions. When the last of the dogs that he grew up with died, he went into deep grieving which he didn't come out until we adopted 2 puppies about a year later.

The puppies didn't behave like Stumpy wanted them. So he would push them back into corners and smack them when they acted up. You gotta realize that at 8 weeks old, the puppies were already bigger than he was (14 pounds). And it was 2 against 1. What Stumpy taught them was to be calm, as he didn't like rowdy puppies. When strange dogs visit the house, Stumpy will do the same thing to them. Now Spanky has picked up what Stumpy does (Stumpy is now 15 years old and getting too old for the job).

I know cats and dogs don't speak the same "language", but you gotta wonder sometimes what they understand about each other.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

claydust

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just noticed, Stumpy is a complete twing of our Taz, right down to the tail. (Taz is on the left in the "My Cats picture at the top of my post).

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like she's the Alpha in the house.
Just too funny!

Cats have so many sounds it's just amazing - guess she sure nailed the right sound to let him know he should be using his inside voice.