Cancer

Alex_ayye

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today, my veterinarian called me with the results of biopsies done on my cat last week and it turns out that it’s cancer. He has a large mass on his back right hip and it’s more than likely inoperable due to the size and the dangers. Can anyone attest to treatments their cats have done and what I should do to help keep him comfortable? I’m still in shock because he’s my licensed therapy animal and I’m having a hard time coming to terms that I’ll be living in a world without him so soon.
Thank you in advance.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry. Cancer can be a devastating diagnosis to recieve. To start with, I would confirm if it is inoperable and if it has spread. If they can remove it and it hasn't spread; talk about that option. I lost my rainbow kitty to cancer on his throat. They were able to remove it once and we tried chemotherapy which bought him a few more months. Unfortunately, it did come back and we lost him to cancer within a year of his diagnosis but I am thankful we tried. Of course, trying is a personal decision and there are a lot of factors to consider.

To just managing him right now and for end of life, check with your vet first. There are holistic options like CBD oil and acupuncture. But those are also personal choices and need to take into consideration any traditional paths chosen. My rainbow kitty was on pain killers, anti-inflammatory and a chemotherapy pill for his final days. Just to manage his pain and try to slow the growth as long as possible. He never seemed to be in pain or anything; the pain medication was more so preventative. We knew it was time when he didn't recognize us (we think the cancer spread to his brain we knew it was in his artery and neck so it wouldn't be a huge leap that it spread to his brain). My current cat gets CBD for arthritis; CBD is anti-inflammatory. It seems to help manage his pain and limp fairly well at a low dose and I can safely go higher if I need to. But CBD doesn't play well with other medications so you don't want to take that path without talking to your vet.

I would strongly encourage you to find out if your vet will come to your home when it is time for for home services. It is a lot less stressful for everyone. When my rainbow kitty passed the vet came to our house and gave him the injection on his favorite chair on the patio while he slept in the sun. I don't know if he even realized what was happening, he was pretty detached at that point, but it was peaceful.

Again, I am so sorry that you are going through this. Cancer truly is a monstrous thing. :vibes: :vibes:

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear about the diagnosis. That's so devastating. We gave our dog turmeric in his meals after his diagnosis and it helped a lot. Some cats don't like the taste of turmeric though, but it's worth a try! It's a natural anti inflammatory, too. I don't -believe- it interacts with anything either!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really believe in Prednisone for shrinking tumors. I've had cats with cancer on it for several years, reducing the dose and maintaining it for comfort. It's a comfort measure but works very well. My cats have Leukemia and have done very well for two years now on DMG to build up their immune system and LifeGold, a supplement for cancers. Both are available on Amazon, Walmart, and Pet Med sites.
I'm so sorry for the diagnosis. Just love that sweet boy all you can, he takes great comfort in knowing you are there for him. There is no way to prepare your heart for what will come, we are here for you if you need us....May God bless and help your sweet boy.....